Hmm... I wonder if.....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Swerved, Aug 19, 2004.

1. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

I don't think you have a choice but to go full throttle on offense and let the chips fall where they may. He will work in 2 and possibly 3 QBs in "easy win" games, so that could cut into production a bit (but, with these 3, probably not).

You sure as hell know OU is going to try and hang a hundred each time out, so why not?

2. wesfau

wesfau Founding Member

I hated Spurrier for running up the score on lesser teams. He did, however, make a good point. When asked about not calling off the dogs he said something to the effect of, "It's my job to score points. It's their job to stop me."

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I looked up unapologetic one time in the dictionary, and I swear I saw a pic of Spurrier next to it.

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

The AP has no rules to follow, they are just supposed to vote for the teams in order from best to worse. They have no guidelines really. The margin of victory was a component of the BCS rankings and was taken out though.

5. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Don't be naive

AP and the other polls will keep the "Half a Hundred" gang and others like them up there all season long ... as long as they keep winning big.

6. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

My thoughts exactly. Since SOS is no longer a large factor (Apparently the media didn't like the fact that their baby was bumped last year), then they will be looking at the margin of victory whether they're supposed to or not... Bet on it.

Geaux Tigers!!

7. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

"Running up the score" is such a whiny-sounding complaint. Do people complain about a golfer "running down the score" when they win a tournament by 10 strokes?

Now, there are many reasons/circumstances when the dominating team may choose NOT to keep scoring... they may want to give less experienced players some playing time, they may want to minimize the risk of injuries to certain key players, they may want to experiment with a part of their offense that is weakest, etc.

Plus, I've seen too many teams score multiple touchdowns in rapid succession to feel completely safe, until the time remaining makes it physically impossible to score enough times.

How many times do you recall having a team that's losing return a turnover for a touchdown, then get the ball back (fumble on the ensuing kickoff, etc.) and score again? They would just need to get lucky one more time and a 21 point turnaround could be the result, all within the span of a only a few game minutes.

8. Swerved

Agreed there as well... the whiny term "Running up the score" personally makes me sick. People want to talk smack before the games, yet when they get their asses handed to them they cry like it wasn't necessary. No mercy is what I say. You're out there to win. Why be nice about it?? I never saw a championship boxer "politely" knock someone's ass out... It usally looks like they meant to do it.

Football is no different. Go out there, kick the other team's ass and do it well. Because someone else will do it to you if not.

Oh and might I remind everyone that the term "run up the score" is used in the lyrics of our ever so glorious fight song??

"... You've got to go for a touchdown
    Run up the score.
    Make Mike the Tiger stand right up and roar.
    ROAR! ..."

There's 2 more of my cents....lol

:geaux:

9. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Actually, the fight song is "Fight for LSU". Those lyrics are from "Hey Fightin' Tigers". :wink:

Just nitpickin'. :grin:

10. Swerved

Dually noted...

:geaux: