HOF LSU Coach Charlie McClendon: disappointment or not?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JohnLSU, Oct 22, 2009.

?

Charles McClendon:

1. disappointment to LSU

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. made LSU proud

61 vote(s)
    96.8%
  1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Most fans were different back then. Times were different too. No internet, daily talk shows etc. We didn't hang Cholly out to dry. We gave Bryant credit for being a great coach.

2. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

EVERYBODY lost to Bryant!
    He won at Kentucky and never had a losing season!

If it weren't for the BCS, LSU (and saban) would not have a national championship this decade.

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I grew up admiring Charlie Mac because my dad admired him. He was very good with the Louisiana high school coaches, so my dad was always a fan.

But the people in Baton Rouge were on him constantly just like they are on Miles--and worse. Remember all the "Help Mac Pack" bumper stickers? They were prolific. My entire early childhood is filled with memories of hearing how badly Charlie Mac sucked.

One time, he came to a Catholic High game, to watch or scout, and a woman stood up and yelled, "Two bits, four bits, six bits, a dollar, all for Mac, lay down and 'waller'." I was 7 and thought she had no class.

One of my uncles couldn't say a kind word about him and now speaks of Mac reverently.

We're doing this same thing to Miles, in my opinion. All I know is that after Mac was forced out, it was nearly 25 years before LSU became relevant in college football again.

1 person likes this.
  4. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Let's compare the Saban-to-Miles transition to the Dietzel-to-McClendon transition:

LSU had very high expectations when McClendon took over.

LSU had very high expectation when Miles took over.

In the four seasons before McClendon became LSU head coach (1958-1961), LSU was 35-7-1 (82.6%), #5 in the NCAA during that time...LSU won one National Title ('58) and two SEC Championships ('58 and '61)... and LSU was undefeated vs. Bear Bryant's Alabama.

Then McClendon took over and LSU went 32-10-2 during his first 4 seasons (75.0%), #12 in the NCAA. During McClendon's first 5 seasons he was 37-14-3 (71.3%), #18 in the NCAA during that time. During McClendon's entire 18 seasons as LSU head coach, LSU only one 1 SEC Championship and zero National Championships... and was only 2-14 vs. Bear Bryant's Alabama.

In the four seasons before Miles became LSU head coach (2001-2004), LSU was 40-12 (76.9%)...LSU won a second National Title ('03).

Then Miles took over and LSU went 42-11 during his first four seasons (79.2%)... LSU won a third National Title ('07).

82.6% to 75.0%, and McClendon is a hero? 76.9% to 79.2% and Miles is a zero? :huh:

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

5 seasons a piece Saban lost 16, Miles lost 12, and Cholly Mac lost 14 games. I might point out that if the NCAA had the same rules for Overtime as it did during Mac's first 5 season's, Miles' record could easily be a hell of alot worse. Key stat is Losses. Cholly coached less games per season, and lost less games than Saban did, and only 2 more losses than Miles.

6. LSUTigerDad

LSUTigerDad 2009 Pick Em Champ

John, SF hit the nail on the head.

7. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Happy to see the response so far. Coach Cholly was who led the Tigers during my youth and the beginning of my love for the Tigers. In his era he was a top coach and made Tiger nation proud. I think much of his spirit is what drives this program today.

8. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

How so? LSU Nation didn't have the negative whiners a few decades ago that we have today? Humanity as a whole was better back then? I doubt it. I'm sure LSU had the same negative whiners back then that we have today. But I do agree that the internet and radio talk shows gives these negative whiners a bigger forum to be heard.

For example, look at this post I read on here the other day that didn't seem to bother any of you people that are bothered now (and it bothered me):

9. col reb

col reb Founding Member

;) Some of the best days of my life....OM and LSU were both usually in the top ten if not top five. Gentleman Johnny Vaught and "Cholly Mac." Football at it's best. No BCS. No bs.....just top notch football.

But remember how Bama was undefeated for so long? I like Bear and respected him. On his tv show, each week, he would play back the game and say things like "I saw Paul Ott's mom and dad at the game. Good to see them." He made them feel like family. Smart move. He would sit there reviewing the game, eating Lay's potatoe chips, and drinking Coke (more than likely SPIKED. But the kid's wanted to play for him. Even if they knew they would be third team or so for a time. They knew that they had a good chance for championship rings.

But we need to remember part of what made Bear famous. Bama handed out unlimited schollys. Bama's third and fourth team could have started in many places. Eventually, here came the scholly limitations.

Bear vs Gentleman Johnny Vaught....Johnny Vaught vs Cholly Mac. Cholly Mac vs the Bear..........damn good times. Was hard to get the Northern votes in the polls.....they usually wanted Michigan or Notre Dame. ND would not join any conference OR play in a bowl...

I don't remember any of these three coaches talking smack against the other. What was it Bear said about LSU? Something about Tiger Stadium being the hardest place in the world to play football?

No.............I have nothing but RESPECT for Mr. Charles McClendon. And YOUR TIGERS from yesteryears to today. Part of that coming from the coaching abilities of Coach Mac.

Can you name me ONE other former LSU coach who LOVED LSU as much as Coach Mac? Pepsident Paul? Saban? They left on their own. LSU let Coach Mac go and to the very best of my knowledge, he NEVER said a harmful or derogatory word about his beloved LSU TIGERS. As a bowl commisioner, he helped when he could. He DIED an LSU TIGER. RIP:thumb:

The more I get to thinking about this.......
    we are comparing apples and oranges..
    In coach Mac's day, how many 300 lb linemen does anyone remember? 300 lbs and able to really run well? I don't recall any, even the All Americans. A large tackle was what? 225? LBs are larger than that now. Anyone remember Jake Gibbs from OM? AA in football and baseball. Not a large man. QBs his size are often told they are too small now. I'm not saying people like LSU's Casanova couldn't play today. He, and others, would have training and diets not available then. Too much a man not to have been able to play now.

What about the speed of today's players? Not there then. Joe LaBruzo (?) was fast but I think his speed would not be so unusual today. Hint: T Holiday. If the players evolve as much in the next fifty years as they did the past fifty, please, some of you young posters make some dvds and bring them when you come to Heaven.

How about the introduction of the black atheletes? Can anyone say that they haven't made a difference? Back then, I could not imagine someone as big as JR coming in the gym and telling the coach that he wants to be a qb. Yeah, right son. Just stand over here next to this guard.

OK, I vented enough. JUST GOOD MEMORIES I guess.

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Oh there were some, but they reared their heads in the stands at the games and were largely beaten back by the majority who wouldn't put up with that crap. Since anonymity was denied, most whiners chose to keep their thoughts to themselves. There was some discourse in Sports Page letters to the editor but largely positive until the final 3 years of Mac's tenure. The Help Mac Pack bunch organized after Mike Miley left a year early and Cholly was stuck with no QB to run his veer. They ran him off and the program didn't recover for decades.