HOF LSU Coach Charlie McClendon: disappointment or not?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JohnLSU, Oct 22, 2009.

?

Charles McClendon:

1. disappointment to LSU

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. made LSU proud

61 vote(s)
    96.8%
  1. LSUTigerDad

LSUTigerDad 2009 Pick Em Champ

Didn't see the post but I don't remember hearing to much of the "Help Mac Pack" until the last couple of years he coached at LSU. Those people got their wish eventually and as StaceyO pointed out look what it got us.

For a guy to win 70% of the games he coached in isn't a disappointment to me. But I will agree that today it will probably get you fired pretty quick.

2. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

And your thoughts on Coach Miles and his love for LSU? I've seen the man cry when talking about how much he loves LSU. It was during that whole giving-up-his-dream-job-as-Michigan-head-coach-to-be-at-LSU thing... we had a whole thread on it here where I was telling people look at that... look at that man, and how could you not love him... and even current whiners like islstl were there praising how great Les Miles was for LSU.

3. LSUTigerDad

John, your thread is about Coach Mac. :wave:

4. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

And it is on an LSU forum, and our Head Coach is Les Miles. Should we be proud of Miles like we are of Coach Mac? What say you?

Do you doubt that Les loves LSU as much as Coach Mac loved LSU?

And what is your comment on this observation:

Let's compare the Saban-to-Miles transition to the Dietzel-to-McClendon transition:

LSU had very high expectations when McClendon took over.

LSU had very high expectation when Miles took over.

In the four seasons before McClendon became LSU head coach (1958-1961), LSU was 35-7-1 (82.6%), #5 in the NCAA during that time...LSU won one National Title ('58) and two SEC Championships ('58 and '61)... and LSU was undefeated vs. Bear Bryant's Alabama.

Then McClendon took over and LSU went 32-10-2 during his first 4 seasons (75.0%), #12 in the NCAA. During McClendon's first 5 seasons he was 37-14-3 (71.3%), #18 in the NCAA during that time. During McClendon's entire 18 seasons as LSU head coach, LSU only one 1 SEC Championship and zero National Championships... and was only 2-14 vs. Bear Bryant's Alabama.

In the four seasons before Miles became LSU head coach (2001-2004), LSU was 40-12 (76.9%)...LSU won a second National Title ('03).

Then Miles took over and LSU went 42-11 during his first four seasons (79.2%)... LSU won a third National Title ('07).

82.6% to 75.0%, and McClendon is a hero? 76.9% to 79.2% and Miles is a zero? :huh:

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I see where you're going John, but you cannot defend Miles at Cholly Mac's expense. Us older guys won't tolerate it.

6. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

I say you copy and paste from your own posts too much, you have a transparent agenda with every thread and post, and you aren't fooling anybody. I mean, c'mon, you're derailing your own thread, and everyone saw it coming.

Don't take me the wrong way, I have nothing against you, but this was incredibly obvious.

1 person likes this.
  7. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Your defense of Coach Mac and your defense of Coach Miles is no different. You and Red55, different as you both are when it comes to politics, both of you unite to defend Coach Miles and LSU against the whiney, childish people on this forum (islstl, LaSalleAve, and friends). And I respect that about both of you. Geaux Tigers. Keep it Real. :LSU231:

8. LSUTigerDad

Okay. Do another poll on "Are you as proud of Coach Miles as you were of Coach Mc? BTW, I am proud of Coach Miles.

9. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Geaux Tigers. :geauxtige

10. LSUTigerDad

I am proud of the LSU Coach Saban also.:)