HOF LSU Coach Charlie McClendon: disappointment or not?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by JohnLSU, Oct 22, 2009.

?

Charles McClendon:

1. disappointment to LSU

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. made LSU proud

61 vote(s)
    96.8%
  1. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

I liked Saban at LSU, and I was happy with Saban at LSU, but I was never "proud" of him as the LSU coach. "Proud" is a big word. When Saban left LSU, I wasn't surprised, nor was I disappointed. Now him taking the job at Bama... that was shocking... but it made me happy because I figured it would turn the people in Tiger Nation that were head-over-heels-in-love-with him against him, but apparently I was wrong about that.

2. col reb

col reb Founding Member

I have no problem with Miles. I do get confused with the number nine team being at the bottom of the sec in offense. But he knows a lot more about LSU players, their abilities, and football in general than I do.

Already, some are questioning him. Let him have two or three losing seasons in a row and lets see then. If LSU lets him go, will he still LOVE LSU? I don't know. Will he stay nearly as long as Mac? I don't know.

Ask me this question in another 14/15 years so I can honestly answer.:thumb:

3. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Again:

Let's compare the Saban-to-Miles transition to the Dietzel-to-McClendon transition:

LSU had very high expectations when McClendon took over.

LSU had very high expectations when Miles took over.

A) the Dietzel-to-McClendon transition

In the four seasons before McClendon became LSU head coach (1958-1961), LSU was 35-7-1 (82.6%), #5 in the NCAA during that time...LSU won one National Title ('58) and two SEC Championships ('58 and '61)... and LSU was undefeated vs. Bear Bryant's Alabama.

Then McClendon took over and LSU went 32-10-2 during his first 4 seasons (75.0%), #12 in the NCAA. During McClendon's first 5 seasons he was 37-14-3 (71.3%), #18 in the NCAA during that time. During McClendon's entire 18 seasons as LSU head coach, LSU had only one 1 SEC Championship and zero National Championships... and was only 2-14 vs. Bear Bryant's Alabama.

B) the Saban-to-Miles transition

In the four seasons before Miles became LSU head coach (2001-2004), LSU was 40-12 (76.9%)...LSU won a second National Title ('03).

Then Miles took over and LSU went 42-11 during his first four seasons (79.2%)... LSU won a third National Title ('07).

82.6% to 75.0%/71.3%, and McClendon is a hero? 76.9% to 79.2% and Miles is a zero? :huh:

4. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

so you're saying you "settled"?

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

29 - 0 for Coach Mac right now.

Is there anyone on earth that doesn't appreciate Cholly Mac?

What an absurd poll, Is it the off-season or something?

6. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Ding, ding, ding. Houston, we have a winner.

7. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

What is so confusing for you two?

8. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

How is it absurd? It would be simple for anybody to point out that Charlie Mac:

1) never won a National Title for LSU

2) only won 1 SEC Title in 18 seasons as our head coach

The real absurdity is that more people aren't voting that Coach Mac was a disappointment... especially since there are all these people now claiming they are disappointed with Coach Miles.

Again:

Let's compare the Saban-to-Miles transition to the Dietzel-to-McClendon transition:

LSU had very high expectations when Miles took over.

In the four seasons before McClendon became LSU head coach (1958-1961), LSU was 35-7-1 (82.6%), #5 in the NCAA during that time...LSU won one National Title ('58) and two SEC Championships ('58 and '61)... and LSU was undefeated vs. Bear Bryant's Alabama.

Then McClendon took over and LSU went 32-10-2 during his first 4 seasons (75.0%), #12 in the NCAA. During McClendon's first 5 seasons he was 37-14-3 (71.3%), #18 in the NCAA during that time. During McClendon's entire 18 seasons as LSU head coach, LSU had only one 1 SEC Championship and zero National Championships... and was only 2-14 vs. Bear Bryant's Alabama.

In the four seasons before Miles became LSU head coach (2001-2004), LSU was 40-12 (76.9%)...LSU won a second National Title ('03).

Then Miles took over and LSU went 42-11 during his first four seasons (79.2%)... LSU won a third National Title ('07).

82.6% to 75.0%/71.3%, and McClendon is a hero? 76.9% to 79.2% and Miles is a zero? :huh:

9. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Agreed, apples and oranges. The landscape of college sports was different back then. LSU was not considered one of the major powers as we are now. We were more of the second tier of the top 25, whereas now we are part of the upper elite. When Cholly started losing that level we were at then people wanted him gone. Now that some fear CLM maybe losing the status we are now, the grumblings for him are beginning. Not to say that either are right, but that is the way of college sports fans.

10. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

That makes no sense. Pay attention to the parts in bold below:

Again:

LSU had very high expectation when Miles took over.