Home status today (last at bat)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by don19, May 25, 2003.

1. don19

don19 Freshman

I've seen this question asked several times today.

Home team for a tournament is determined by seeding for the first round, and after that by who has been home the most. LSU had been the home team twice (against Arkansas and the first MSU game) and Bama had only been the home team once (first Auburn game).

This is the way it is in every tournament, including regionals and the CWS. As many tourneys as LSU has been in with its rich tradition and many championships, I am surprised that nobody on this board has been able to answer this question.

Congrats on your regular season championship. Good luck in your regional, and I hope we see you again down the road (and yes, that would take a monumental effort from us).

Roll Tide!

2. Jack

Jack Member

Thanks Don, that makes sense.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Being the home team wouldn't have made a difference today. We got decent pitching for 7 innings but couldn't do anything with the bats. Tiger hitters looked at too many strikes without swinging the sticks.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I posed the question rhetorically in another thread. I know what the rules are I just don't think they are good rules. Case in point: LSU wins the regular season SEC championship by winning 20 games. Alabama sneaks in and was lucky to be playing. Yet, Bama gets the nod for home team in the Championship game. I don't care if they were never home team. A #7 should not get the nod over the #1 seed. Period. Now, wipe the smug smirk off your face. (It's nice to have something to be proud of about the Tide though, Huh?).

5. don19

don19 Freshman

I was serious.

There was no smirk in my comment about your baseball tradition. I have tremendous respect for what LSU has done in baseball -- in fact our success is rooted in what Coach Wells learned from Caoch Bertman.

I am a big college baseball fan (not just my Tide) -- I go the to the CWS every year for my vacation, and the way LSU takes this sport seriously and invades Omaha is a model for all other schools.

Lesson? Don't assume that every positive comment about your team from a rival is dripping with sarcasm or irony.

Good luck; Omaha hasn't been the same the last two years without y'all there.

Roll Tide!

6. TennesseeTiger

TennesseeTiger Founding Member

Here's an interesting bit of history...the last time that LSU lost to Alabama in the SEC tournament title game (1997), LSU won the national championship over that same team 13-6.

Although I'm sure the NCAA will probably try to put all the SEC schools in one bracket.

7. don19

don19 Freshman

I remember clearly...

I was in Omaha that day...quite a day for the SEC.

Hopefully we can get a repeat performance in the future (with a different result! :) )

8. Jack

Jack Member

You're not kidding. That was driving me nuts. I was wondering when they were going to catch on to that sinker but everyone just watched it into the glove.

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

A pitcher like Norris is the best strategy against LSU and has been for several years. Look at what UL's Gros does to us. And, Johnson from Mississippi State. Tulane has another one. Those curveball, changeup pitchers give the Tigers fits.

10. TennesseeTiger

TennesseeTiger Founding Member

Re: I remember clearly...

So who do you think LSU will play for the championship? Certainly it won't be the Crumbson Toads...