Home vs Away (Drew Brees)

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by islstl, Dec 29, 2013.

1. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Well, they were 3-5 on the road. It's not like they have never won a road game. If I were DB, I'd focus on the fact that we have won 3 on the road this year and stay positive. He's a positive guy and has confidence in his ability, regardless of the last few road games or the "biggest disparity in NFL history" statistics you show may indicate. Philly's not near as complete of a team as Seattle. The Saints take this game, mark my words. They just can't let the game get away from them like they did against Seattle. They are a rhythm team and just need to make some plays early to get that rhythm going and they'll be fine, even on the road.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I did this writeup on the Saints forum:

Examining the Saints Offense in Scoring Position and Redzone (Home vs Away)
    I am referring to "scoring position" as a point on the field inside the opponent's 40 yard line. Essentially a prime opportunity to kick a field goal or better yet drive in for a touchdown.

Home
    Scoring Outside the Opponents' 40 yard line.....................: 7 TDs
    Scoring Inside the Opponents' 40 yard line.......................: 37-45 (82 %)
    Scoring TDs Inside the Opponents' 40 yard line................: 28-45 (62 %)
    Redzone Entry from Inside the Opponents' 40 yard line....: 35-45 (78 %)
    Redzone TD Conversion........................................ ..........: 23-35 (66 %)

Away
    Scoring Outside the Opponent's 40 yard line....................: 3 TDs
    Scoring Inside the Opponent's 40 yard line.......................: 26-39 (67 %)
    Scoring TDs Inside the Opponent's 40 yard line...............: 11-39 (28 %)
    Redzone Entry from Inside the Opponent's 40 yard line...: 22-39 (56 %)
    Redzone TD Conversion........................................ .........: 9-22 (41 %)

Missed Opportunities Inside the Opponent's' 40:
    8 missed FGs, 5 fourth down failures, 4 turnovers, 4 punts (following a sack or penalty)

Explanation:
    Looking at the home stats, the Saints were inside the opponent's 40 yard line 45 times, and converted on 37 total scores (TDs and FGs). Out of those 37 scores, 28 were TDs. The Saints also got into the opponent's redzone 35 of the 45 times we were inside their 40 yard line (i.e., easier FG opportunity, prime chance to score a TD). Out of those 35 times, we converted 23 TDs. I took out possessions where the Saints were simply running out the clock (Arizona, @Chicago, Dallas, @Atlanta). For those who are pretty good with numbers, you can figure the Saints scored 5 times from outside the redzone but inside the opponent's 40 yard line at home, and only 2 times on the road (e.g, a 25 yard pass play for a TD).

Biggest Takeaway:
    The Saints have gotten inside the opponent's 40 yard line almost as much on the road as they have at home (39 vs 45). But they are a miserable 28 % on TD conversions on the road (11-39) vs a very strong 62 % at home (28-45) in this situation. If you ONLY adjusted this stat line and had the Saints offense at a similar clip (i.e., 24-39 or 62 %), that would equate to roughly 7 more points scored on the road per game. The difference between scoring only 17.8 and nearly 25 ppg. You're most likely talking 3 more wins on the road and a 14-2 record and #1 bye.

3. islstl

Saints once again with all kinds of problem inside the 40 against Philly.

Only 2 conversions for TDs, 4 FGs and one time came away with 0 points.

The only reason Philly was even in this game.

4. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Since 2009, N.O. has one of the best road records of all teams... This year was an aberration.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  5. islstl

That same statistic I brought up came to ultimately bite the Saints in the ass vs Seattle.

Over 400 yards of offense (almost impossible to do in their home stadium) and the Saints put up 15 points.

7 trips inside the Seattle 40 produced 2 TDs, 2 missed FGs, a failed 4th down attempt, a punt and the clock running out

At home, that's at least 31 points and probably more