hoops 2024/2025

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Jmg, Apr 10, 2024.

1. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

Jalen cook announced for the NBA draft. carlos stewart is in the transfer portal, he never played much and then got hurt.

Point Guard
    Curtis Givens (FR)

Shooting Guard
    Mike Williams (SO)
    Vyctorius Miller (FR)
    Cam Carter (SR)

Wing
    Tyrell Ward (JR)
    Derek Fountain (5th Year)

Power Forward
    Jalen Reed (JR)
    Daimion Collins (SR)
    Corey Chest (SO)
    Robert Miller (FR)

Center??

in modern basketball you don't exactly always need a proper center, and the NBA often has no real back-to-the basket post man in the game. they have a big shooter in there instead. but if you watched the national title game monday you know a traditional post big still is useful in college.

will wade once said he wants his roster to have 3 point guards and 3 centers, which I think speaks to how important those guys are to the college game. we need some sort of kavell bigby-williams guy. doesnt need to score much. needs to stop penetrating guard from getting easy layupsand clean the glass.

I really like vyctorious miller and Curtis givens. good guards win tournament games. have to make the dance this year

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Heard a blast from the recent past watching the Pelicans play the Blazers the other night. Duop Reath, played pretty well for Portland.

3. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

duop reath is a great story there was an article about him in SI recently. he can really shoot it.

great news, the problem of experience needed at PG is solved.

https://247sports.com/article/four-...mcmahon-2024-basketball-recruiting-230282779/

great pickup, starts the season and plays until freshman Curtis givens can wrestle away the job. excellent shooter, effort guy. very small tho, probably a defensive liability vs bigger guards.

4. mctiger

@Jmg just saw that. Looks like a guy who could shoot and distribute at a mid-major. We'll see if he can do it in the SEC.

5. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

sure hope so.

old timers might remember Tennessee Martin transfer Mike Hanson, he was pretty good!

Point Guard
    Jordan Sears (SR from UT Martin)
    Curtis Givens (FR)

Shooting Guard
    Mike Williams (SO)
    Vyctorius Miller (FR)
    Cam Carter (SR)

Wing
    Tyrell Ward (JR)
    Derek Fountain (5th Year)

Power Forward
    Jalen Reed (JR)
    Daimion Collins (SR)
    Corey Chest (SO)
    Robert Miller (FR)

Center??

mctiger likes this.
  6. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

reed announced he will return. if Collins and Williams come back, and I think the ywill, that's a solid core to add transfers to. with incoming freshmen guards givens and Miller, and incoming transfers guards Carter and sears, they should be fine at guard with talent and experience.

need one tall shot blocker and rebounder and I will buy my NCAA tournament tickets

kcal likes this.
  7. mctiger

Seems like Collins and Miller should fill those roles. Both tall and athletic, right?

8. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

yeah I like both of those guys, plus redshirt Corey chest has NBA level athleticism so he should be able to rebound and defend.

but none of these guys are a true center, they are more like power forwards. wouldn't mind a true center with some weight on him so opposing SEC teams wont bring a Colin castleton or walker Kessler or Oscar tshiebwe or Kenneth lofton JR and eat our lunch down low.

9. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

signed another tall guard, this one named dji bailey from richmond. they have quite a few long/tall guards that can play the 2 or 3. I predict we see some speedy defense oriented semi-positionless lineups. with 100% switching on defense, like the last wade team with Eason and Gaines. those long armed athletes can put the clamp down.

I will speculate about lineups and rotations at a later date, of course.