Hoops BBall Recruiting (2006-7)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Jun 17, 2006.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Didn't say Gillipsie wasn't a good coach, nor was I surprised that we lost out on a top 40 player with six schools on his leaderboard.

I also posted earlier in the year that I thought it was (1) encouraging that LSU was now getting looks across the country, but (2) it would be still hard to crack into TX. It's going to be a gradual process to set the groundwork. Regardless, what I do think is interesting is that Jordan picked a school that is NOT a basketball school (if LSU fans are considered poor basketball fans, A&M fans are even worse--they tend to only pack the house (small house) for the UT game), and as far as I can remember Gillipsie's never developed a big man--his UTEP teams were always guard oriented, defense heavy teams. So, what surprised me is the type of system he's going to.

I'll not cast judgment on Brady's recruiting year until November. I still like our chances in getting a few quality players, and even if they're not 4 or 5 star guys, just remember one name... Tyrus Thomas.

In other news...

Kodi Augustus, a TX kid from BR, picked the Mississippi State Bulldogs. This one hurts more than Jordan, just b/c this is a kid we maybe could of had and he's going to the SEC.

http://tamu.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=565313

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. PACK THE PMAC.

2. TGer'nLHornLand

So, is it just me, or is the Advocate and Rosetta covering LSU basketball recruiting in the summer (for a change)?:hihi: :thumb:

Well, it's good news to see us talking hoops recruiting for a change. Here's the latest update...

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/3451486.html?showAll=y&c=y

Lot's of new names. Some names like Johnson, Jordan, as well as Kodi Augustus, fall off. Also, we get a little insight into why Jordan may have committed to A&M--Gillipsie's considering Jordan's AAU coach for an open spot on his staff... explains a lot.

I see a few trends emerging. The road into Texas is a tough one, but we are still seeking the Jai Lucas lynchpin. He and his teammate Isaiah Rusher (6-9, 230 center) are both considering LSU, Kentucky and Ok State. Hard to know if they're a package, but Jai is a top 50 player and Isaiah is a top 150 player. Jai's official visit to LSU will be key.

Good news hopefully will come soon with DJ Wright's visit. I like what I read about him. We almost need shooters more than big men at this point, although thinking ahead, we may be a guard/swing heavy team, once GDavis leaves (Rolle will be there, but will CJohnson work just as hard to improve?).

In any case, an ideal would be picking up Jai (PG), DJ Wright (SF), and another big man to make for a very nice class. The article gives some initial insight into the 2008 class, which is key---more and better LA prospects, including Greg Monroe, who may be the best 2008 prospect overall, and we may need to leave a schollie or two open for that.

3. TGer'nLHornLand

Another weekend goes by as we get closer and closer to August, school starts again, and the college basketball recruiting landscape becomes clearer and clearer.

This weekend saw Chandler Parsons lift his stock. This is the 6-8 swing forward who plays with Florida commitment, Nick Calathes, a 6'5" point, on a Florida AAU team. He's a shooter and considering LSU. Problem is, he may have lifted his stock too much. The articles mentions Florida perhaps offering (I was wondering why they hadn't), and Florida has been raking 'em in. Another thought is that he and DJ Wright seem to play similar positions, both big wings who can shoot.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=566180

Also getting mention is Bo Spencer, a local PG, who is a mid-major prospect.

4. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Wright has officially commited to the Tigers - before ever even visiting the campus.

5. TGer'nLHornLand

That's great news. As confirmed by Rivals and Scout, although I can't get the full article.

I wonder if he made his announcement given the hype he got over the summer playing AAU ball and the increased attention. I'd say that this is the start of a good strong trend of being able to sign kids outside of LA, eh? :)

In any case, there's little about the guy out there in the national recruiting rags, b/c he's from Toronto. He's a Canada All-Nike performer, and was by some account voted as Canada's top high school player recently. A 6'7" wing who can hit the three ball--something we were clearly missing.

A very solid guy for Jai to dish the ball to, perhaps? :hihi:

6. TGer'nLHornLand

More news....

From the Advocate: http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/3745051.html
    Chandler Parsons, the 6-8 wing shooter from Florida, ended some suspense early and committed to Florida to join his buddy Nick Caltheses on the Gators. Probably not the biggest loss in my opinion. Another soft 6'8" thin player who will fit right in at Florida.

I think we have more important priorities which is to land a PG and a big. It appears that there a few new names on the radar, Anthony Randolph, a TX 6'10" PF, who could make us all forget DeAndre Jordan, a 6'9" bruiser from Chicago, and interestingly enough, a 6' PG from Alabama, Keegan Bell, rated 122 by Rivals. Insurance for Jai Lucas perhaps? :shock:

I'm still holding hope out for Jai Lucas. Jai and Anthony from Texas? Keeping the fingers crossed.... but I see Brady and Butch making sure there are some back ups. I think they're learning from past experiences.

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. PACK THE PMAC!

7. TGer'nLHornLand

Just posting the news...

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/3858192.html from the Advocate.

Football's not the only thing going on in September. A few very key hoops recruiting visits coming up in September, as described in the article. This weekend an "underrated" point guard, Keegan Bell, visits us. What's news is that he's tight with Anthony Randolph a top 15 recruit from Texas, which is a somewhat strange connection given the fact that Bell is from Alabama and Randolph's from Dallas. Regardless, that's a nice looking 1-2 punch if we land 'em. What continues to also be interesting is how Jai Lucas is NOT in the recruiting news all that much. Don't know if that bodes well for us or not... In any case, having some basketball recruits visit on LSU football game nights can't be a bad thing. Hope the fans support their recruitment on the visits.

8. pheroy

pheroy Founding Member

TGer, thanks for coming back and updating this - I missed that article so it was nice to have a pointer to it.

9. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

I found it funny that they mention Bell as being a "Steve Nash" type.

Why, because he's white and has long hair? :confused:

The man's NBA MVP, for God's sake.

10. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I think it is based on his flashy passing style & tendency, but you know, whatever...