Hoops Recruiting (2012)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Oct 29, 2009.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Here's the angle from the NC State perspective...

http://ncstate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1363765

Man, my commentary on this is this. EVERY coaching change brings turmoil--and this is just part of it, good or bad. Sure fans will now say, "good riddance" or "no big deal" and this and that, but it's a shame to me on various fronts. One, on the front that Ralston Turner is just a sophomore and he can man up and get better, with a little bit of competition coming in the door. Coleman plays the 3 and Hammink is a Frosh. Turner as a junior could have helped us next year in more of a true 2 position. He had a "sophomore slump" like many people do. LSU loses a kid who had a ton of SEC experience and helped LSU win some big games (i.e., Marquette). I just think both parties lose with this and well, the story may not be told as to whether Jones forced this situation or was the victim. Unfortunately, the reality is there's just so little loyalty in today's game. If you can't be the "man" switch schools--forget the fact that you came to a university to get an education and a college experience.

Am I happy with Swilling replacing Turner? Perhaps. Not sure. Swilling's shorter, and not as much of a pure shooter--perhaps he's a better defender--but is he simply another John Isaac? The only way this is a good thing is if Pollard is really still in play, and now he sees a wide open LSU roster to play both 3/4 in, and Coleman has the ability to shift to the 2 position. Isaac also could be happy--but frankly, Isaac has work to do on his offense to really be able to help this team.

2. TGer'nLHornLand

Oh, and as far as Pollard goes, THIS is the big question. As far as I know, Pollard's not only not announced, it's just been radio silent. Oh, what you wouldn't pay to be sitting in those Kirby-Pollard family discussions right now, right?

Here's the latest I could find on Pollard recently--just an op piece by a Texas rag. They're hoping they get him, but frankly now, I'd make a strong case for LSU. The only question is whether Kirby can make up enough ground for LSU coming to the party late, and for the fact that Pollard feels some sort of "commitment" to his frontrunners... Texas, G-town and Missouri.

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2012/5/6/3003737/devonta-pollard-recruiting-decision-player-profile

Frankly, when you look at G-Town, I just don't see Pollard fitting into JTIII's style of play. He may have been given the recruiting pitch of become the next "point forward" in the G-Town line of those types and sold that by Kirby, but JTIII's slow down methodical style of play just doesn't suit Pollard who would like to slash and handle from the 3 spot in a more open court fashion. Missouri is more to that style, but then will distance come into play? Then, there's Texas. Hard not to get caught up in Austin, and Texas recent tradition. But, Pollard, a noted "mamma's boy" might not want to stray too far from home. Enter CJJ, CRK and LSU. Jones' up-tempo style is far better suited for Pollard, and with all of the wings and guards that Jones has his sights on, it's going to be a wide open interesting team. Pollard just needs to refine his handle, smarts and his body, frankly. LSU's strength and conditioning program is up there, if not beyond, Texas' these days. And, as far as distance goes, LSU is right there--Kirby long term is going to have a much easier time convincing MS recruits to go to LSU than G-Town. Not sure how much headway Kirby is really making behind the scenes, but man, if LSU can pull this out, especially with Turner apparently on the outs, that line up could be pretty stout. Hickey, Coleman, Pollard, Godfrey, O'Bryant? With players like Morgan, Hammink, Stringer also in the mix? There's some good young talent on this team.

3. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

4. Tom Callender

Tom Callender Founding Member

So if Turner comes back what position would he be best at? shooting guard - can he handle the ball well enough for that position & would his shooting percentage be good enough? What position is Stringer gonna play? SG or PG? I was hoping Morgan would be good enough to start at shooting guard & he's gotta be a better ball handler? Gonna be tough for Turner to start @ small forward with the guys we got coming in. What say ya'll.

5. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

Tom, I honestly know very little about Morgan other than what I have heard about him on this forum or others like it. That said, if he is as good as advertised then I think he will at least push for the starting #2 position. Whether Turner will return or not is anyone's guess but I question whether he handles the ball well enough to be a legit #2, especially against teams who press a lot. Turner's shooting has always been streaky at best so I would consider him a better sixth man type who JJ could install at the 2 or 3 for instant offense. Just my two pennies on it.....

6. TGer'nLHornLand

7. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Tigerbait !!

I heard all our jerseys were too big in the chest for him. ;)

8. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

I wish Turner the best at NC State. This should not surprise anyone.

9. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

JC center John Odoh who was committed to Coach JJ at UNT, was once released and not allowed to sign with LSU...UNT has since backed off LSU and is not allowing him to sign with Sun Belt or Conference USA teams
    http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/

10. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I don't understand why coaches, in any sport, grant releases to players with the condition that they can't go to this school or that.

It's petty.

It's like those deranged men who kill their women after they break up..."If I can't have you, no one can."

They're exercising power simply because they have it...not out of good sense.

mrgreen21 likes this.