Hoops Recruiting (2012)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Oct 29, 2009.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Honestly, it's still a little early to tell, but from what I gather, LSU was on Smart early not so much anymore. Shaq is an intriguing prospect that makes some sense for LSU, and I've seen his name on more lists, but again, hard to say if LSU is strongly in the picture. You point out one thing though, in 2012, Texas has a huge crop of prospects, and it'd be good for LSU get someone from the Lone Star state (given that KC Ross Miller fell through). If conventional wisdom says Trent has zeroed in on Felix as a PG offer, Gathers as a SF/PF offer, the other schollie is focused on a big PF/C prospect. There are few names popping here and there for center prospects, but nothing solid right now. Knowing Trent, he's pretty selective about his "high targets" and so we may not know much until closer to signing day and visits.

I'm liking Felix and Gathers though, and Felix is slowly getting more pub. They continue the mold of solid to very good recruits for LSU. You'd like to see some stellar SG or big man pop free, though...

2. TGer'nLHornLand

More on Ricardo Gathers at the City of Palms tourney in Florida. I think he legitimizes the ESPN top 60 ranking here.

Here is some good footage on his "man-child" rep. Frankly, he's a 6'7" 240 ish beast who is just hard to keep off the glass and keep from dunking in the high school game. But, his slashing and ball handling is a little bit of a surprise. Again, LSU has got to keep the top talent in LA going to LSU. So far, Trent has made strides...

6'7" Ricardo Gathers is a Man-Child; Killin' At City of Palms; 240 lbs - BALL IS LIFE

3. TGer'nLHornLand

More Rico Gathers stuff for folks that want a nice thread all about him. It's too bad it's a thread on the Ohio State thread, but nice nonetheless. Stuff is a little older, but good tidbits.

http://www.buckeyeplanet.com/forum/...-12-la-pf-ricardo-gathers-official-offer.html

I'm liking him more and more, just because of his physicality. I think that Trent swung the pendulum far to the "skilled" side of the ledger with the 2010 class, picking up perhaps less athletic but more skilled and well decorated prospects. In 2011, we go a little bit more to the middle with a more athletic Isaac and a pretty strong big in Johnny O'Bryant. Gathers, could come in as a pretty effective 3/4 where he would give teams fits--if you want to go small, O'Bryant plays center and Gathers plays 4. If you want to go big, Hamilton (5), O'Bryant (4) and Gathers (3) may essentially guarantee you a rebound. I think the kid is also smart, b/c he's working very hard on his face up game and dribble drive.

4. TGer'nLHornLand

Sugar Bowl Tourney

Sorry, folks, it's not all about the UA and AAA game this week. Check out this new 16 team tourney hosted in N.O. on Jan 6-8th, the Allstate Sugar Bowl National Prep Classic, which features...

More Ricardo Gathers (more in-depth news on how Riverside Academy is stacked):

Sugar Bowl Tournament: Riverside Academy on road to 2A repeat

Jernard Jarreau (a 6'10" skinny who committed to Washington):

Sugar Bowl Tournament: McDonogh 35 soaring

A junior 6'7" center, Troy Jones, who was scouted by LSU:

Sugar Bowl Tournament: Powerhouse Peabody ready to shine

players from powerhouse programs like Salmen, Peabody, Brother Martin (watch out for Brother Martin 2014 FR 6'4" Jordan Cornish: Sugar Bowl Tournament: State champion Brother Martin pleased by spot in new event)

Teams are coming from as far as L.A. (Westchester: Sugar Bowl Tournament: Westchester ready for challenge in other LA), LSU recruiting hotbed Dallas (Kimball: and perhaps an interior prospect in Jarion Henry, a 6'9" 195 kid Sugar Bowl Tournament: Kimball Knights keep it all in the family), Florida and Philadelphia.

No St. Augustine it seems at this tournament (or PG and LSU recruit Javan Felix, who is getting some good pub on Tigerbait right now). But, St. Augustine was busy this past week at the "Kingdom of the Sun" Invitational tournament in Florida. Tiger fans will be drooling over freshman Craig Victor, a 6'7" freshman who was on display there at the tourney, Trent's got to start talking to this kid early folks.

Got to imagine that folks from LSU will try to take in some of the tourney in the early rounds. As we've discussed, New Orleans was such a key recruiting market that Brown and Brady could never really quite penetrate. Trent and his staff have been making in-roads there and need to keep up the work!

If folks can make it and give a report, that would be awesome!

5. 100%TigerBred

100%TigerBred Founding Member

Got a good feeling we might see a great 2A match up sometime during state w/ John Issac's Pickering vs Gather's Pickering. Well, at least I am hoping so!

6. TGer'nLHornLand

7. TGer'nLHornLand

8. TGer'nLHornLand

So, the Texans from Dallas won last night as Kimball comes from behind to nip Riverside Academy. Great tourney format which hopefully gets bigger and more exposure in years to come. Ricardo Gathers was named overall tourney MVP and on the all-tourney team. He had 15 points and 15 rebounds in the loss.

Kimball rallies past Riverside to win Sugar Bowl National Prep Classic

While I certainly think Gathers has some limitations because of his height and likely positions he'd play in college, the kid certainly has some physical tools and a motor that you like.

9. TGer'nLHornLand

10. TGer'nLHornLand

More Rico Gathers news

Recently, Ricardo Gathers made news at a hoops showcase in St. Louis.

Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting - Beal explodes at St. Louis event

What you can say is sometimes, you can't replace pure physicality, i.e., height, strength and speed. What I like about Gathers is that even at a little bit of an undersized PF spot, he has the strength to overpower people. And, you've got to say, matching him within a very skilled backcourt in 2012 (Stringer, Turner & Derenbecker + Isaac), plus some bigs down low (O'Bryant, Hamilton), could be very attractive for him playing 3 or 4 as needed.