Hoops Recruting (2013)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by mrgreen21, Apr 19, 2011.

1. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

I have a nephew who played against him last year when he (Mudiay) was at Grace Prep, that team had Issac Austin, Jordan Mickey and a few other D1 guys and all my nephew talked about was Mudiay...Said he was the best player he'd seen all year.

Prime Prep Vs Scottlandville (I think I counted two blocks by Mickey on Bridgewater)

This is a complete game Prime Prep Vs Houston Yates... fast paced game...Mickey gets a putback dunk in like the first two minutes

2. mrgreen21

3. Tom Callender

Tom Callender Founding Member

Lots of good updates & info guys. Thank you. Your info on the incoming players sure has me looking forward to the future. I was proud of the way LSU played yesterday against Kentucky, wow we just needed one more shot to fall & we coulda won.. Who would have believed that before the game. A week or so ago I was kinda critical of JOB and rightly so but he sure has played well lately. Next years team should be a good one.

stevescookin likes this.
  4. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Yeah, the more I comb over the 2013 landscape, I really don't know what is even out there... Frankly, if Frazier is out, then you look at the LA/TX recruits and there just isn't much there to even go after. Julius Randle is the big unknown left in 2013... he is a big TX kid who could be the immediate heir apparent to JOB, but with kids like him, he's probably expecting to play right away and has a pretty blue blood top 5.

There's another 6'11" unsigned center prospect in Round Rock TX, Leonard Allen, I believe, but we've got John Odoh, who is more of a known quantity. You look at Odoh, a lot of versatility allong along the wing with Martin, Mickey and Quarterman, and for once in a VERY long time, you can say Coach Johnny Jones and his staff have in just under a year stocked this already relatively young team with depth in every position (with the possible exception of true center). I have to say, you can't argue with the power of recruiting in the college game... what Gottfried has done at NC State for example, or CJJ has quietly done at LSU (which we'll see more next year), are very underrated stories.

About the only thing we can worry about is injuries or other attrition--the tell tale sign of what kind of "family" or "community" is being built in a program. Everything's great during the season when folks are playing hard but see what happens when the season ends, and you find out someone like Ralston Turner's unhappy or JOB would prefer to go to Europe and play ball rather than go to school.

May be time to start the 2014 thread, MrGreen. Frankly, if LSU replicates it's 2013 success in 2014, you basically can look for LSU to be an annual NCAA tourney team from 2013-14 on out....

5. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Whatever happened with Deng Deng?

6. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Sort of in a holding pattern. Committed, but unsigned. Not sure what CJJ's approach is to him, but many folks are rumoring either a "redirection" or more time to develop. Not sure I see it in his best interests to come to LSU, unless you think Mickey/Martin will lead to a one and done or lack of depth situation in the future. Deng's athletic but very raw, supposedly. Question becomes whether CJJ wants to stay with the commitment (especially if say, JOB decides to leave?), or save a schollie for 2014. 2014 has LSU on some pretty big fish (Dante Exum, Craig Victor and others), and the question in my mind is who are the schollies going to if not them (i.e., who are the secondary targets and how good are they)? That tells you somewhat might happen with Deng this spring... attrition and how CJJ and staff feel about 2014 folks.

7. mrgreen21

8. Tom Callender

I sure wish we could find someone like Ole Miss did off the junior college circuit.

stevescookin likes this.
  9. Tom Callender

Darcy Malone. What's the info on him. Is he a 2013 or 2014 recruit. Seven footer from down under. The video I was able to see wasn't very impressive but he's only 17 & has huge potential. Coming in for a official visit according to what I read. Go johnny go!

10. mrgreen21

Don't know much about him but his name has popped up this week. From reading around he seem to be another late bloomer. 17, seven foot and still growing. From Australia and was a teamate of 2014 & 2015 targets Dante Exum and Ben Simmions. From his video he looks slow but has a nice shooting touch.