Hoops Recruting (2013)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by mrgreen21, Apr 19, 2011.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Maybe the saying should be... "if at first you don't succeed, then try try again...?" Look let's call a spade a spade. Alleva interviewed CJJ in 2008, and gave the job to Trent. So, you could actually say that Alleva messed up the first time, to only make amens the second time. I think to Alleva's credit, having been on the job I believe less than a year, he went with the "safer" name brand of Stanford/Big conference coach who had just gotten to the sweet 16 and had 4 consecutive post-season seasons... He liked CJJ a lot, but the conservative play was picking Trent. Many people, including the negaTigers, praised the hire at the time.

This time around, CJJ got the endorsements of not only the Dale Browns and Collis Temples of the world, but from Trent himself, who told Alleva that CJJ was the right man for the job. So, you tell me was Alleva lucky, or just finally saw the light? To his credit, however, you still had a very vocal group that was against CJJ because either they had still some of the animosity towards the Dale Brown era OR they somehow thought LSU deserved some bigger name.

In any case, CJJ is plain making believers out of everyone. You'd still like to see him finish this year with some good wins and post-season play--so the jury's not completely out. But, if you graded soley on potential and recruiting, you'd give CJJ and staff a resounding A+ right now.

Interestingly, alot of recruiting pundits would debate the need to "lock up" LA's borders in recruiting. You can look at this 2013 class and say quite the opposite. CJJ and staff have gone outside of LA and wrapped up some serious "regional" and "international" talent! Texas- 2 (Odoh, Mickey), Georgia (Quarterman), LA (Martin), and now Australia. I'll be interested to see what happens in 2014 and '15, when there may be more LA talent to speak to. Given who LSU is looking at in 2014 (and more "national" and "international" recruits), our LA boys better commit and sign up soon, or else the PMAC train will be leaving them behind. It also lets you know that at the end of the day, sometimes these LA kids really just want to leave, and for once LSU may not be solely dependent on that local talent!

Rivals' take on Malone: http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1470098

ROY_LA_CA likes this.
  2. ROY_LA_CA

ROY_LA_CA Founding Member

Thanks Tger'nHornLand

3. TGer'nLHornLand

4. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

Well he made the McD AA roster
    http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...cruits-lead-mcdonald-all-american-game-roster

5. TGer'nLHornLand

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

not sure how unusual it is, but UK has 5 of them!

7. mrgreen21

LOL not unusual at all...I am curious to see how thats going to work out next season... UK has a full roster with only 1 Sr and 6 new recruits...So unless 5 bolt to the NBA they are going to have a roster problem....

8. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

The best class in the past 25 years? Will you accept that?

9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Or best class since, I will stipulate to that.:D

10. mrgreen21

Tim Quartermans team has made it to the Georgia State title game...
    http://savannahnow.com/sports/2013-...h-hall-will-play-aaa-state-title#.UTiVNjc9vZc
    "Quarterman, a 6-foot-6 shooting guard, had eight of his 18 points during the burst, prompting a chant of ā€œL-S-U, L-S-Uā€ from the capacity crowd of 3,000. Quarterman signed a letter of intent to play basketball at LSU next season."
    People in Georgia chanting LSU! Off the chain!

Jordan Mickey and Prime Prep were ranked #2 in the nation...I think playing a national schedule is going to help Mickey a lot when it comes to transfering his game to the collage level
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/hi...y-crushing-kansas-sunrise-christian-73-45.ece

Jerrall Martin update
    "In its first playoff game, Madison Prep routed Forest High School 121-35 ā€“ a game in which Martin contributed 28 points, 10 rebounds, five blocks and four steals."
    http://www.lsureveille.com/sports/men_basketball/article_54762826-7fa6-11e2-9f7b-001a4bcf6878.html