Horn Offense vs Tiger Defense

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Hillbillyhorn, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Full Flask

Full Flask Freshman

I think pass rush (or from our view, pass protection) will be the key, too. Our OL is better at pass blocking than run blocking (though that's not saying much), but they have been inconsistant protecting Simms. In general, when Simms has been given time to throw, he's been very good, and given time, Roy will get open.

Bo Scaife is the TE you're talking about. He was supposed to be a star for us this year, but hurt his knee in August, and has been out for the season. Losing him has hurt because our other TE's are just average receivers at best.

2. Hillbillyhorn

Hillbillyhorn Freshman

If (and it's a big 'if') we can get any kind of running game going to give us balance, it will help keep the D from pinning their ears back and rushing Simms too much. However, this has been our problem against good defenses. I still don't think the man coverage will hold up though.

3. msully

msully Founding Member

Look at the Bama game

4. Hillbillyhorn

Hillbillyhorn Freshman

:confused: What did you guys do in the Bama game?

5. Hillbillyhorn

Hillbillyhorn Freshman

Question? How is your D-line?
    Our O-line has been average-to good in pass protection, but we're only 8th out of 12 in the Big 12 in rushing due to our zone blocking scheme and passive reach blocking. Our tackles are very good, but our weakness is in the middle of the line especially center.

LT Robbie Doane (All America canidate)
    LG Tillman Holloway
    C Jason Glynn
    RG Derick Dockery (outstanding player who can also play tackle)
    RT Jonathan Scott (R-FS who is future all- American)

The real problem is our scheme which Mack is supposed to change after the season.

Just wondered about how your DL was against the run and against the pass. Thanks.

6. Hillbillyhorn

Hillbillyhorn Freshman

Bottom Line: There will still be no answer to Roy Williams! :)

7. GeauxTigers

GeauxTigers Founding Member

Hillbilly,
    No doubt that Roy W is a deep threat, as are the other WRs (sorry I can't recall the names), but as stated earlier, our pass D is top drawer. Do we get burned deep? yes, but not for many TDs. The pass rush, along with the blitz every now and then, should keep Simms running (which is something in watching the Horns, he doesn't do well).
    A big plus on the Tigers O is our QB. I know that he gets ragged on because he can't throw with anything approaching consistancey, but when he's on...he's good (a la South Carolina and Arkansas games) and his running ability makes him that much more of a threat.
    From my experience and observations, many times in games such as these, it's the players you least likely would suspect who end up making the biggest difference. (which is why I'm saying Randall, our QB, could be the big plus variable for LSU).

GEAUX TIGERS!!

8. Hillbillyhorn

Hillbillyhorn Freshman

GT:
    Well I'll grant you that if can get to Simms, you can slow us down. But if you bring the blitz and don't get to him, yo're going to get burned a lot.

BTW, why does this game have to start at such an early hour? Not enough time for Horns and Tiger fans alike to put away a enough cold ones! ;)

9. GeauxTigers

GeauxTigers Founding Member

As far as the early start...
    You can blame the SEC and the Outback (or Capital One, I can't remember which) for that. The contract states that that the first half of the Cotton can not overlap with the first half of the other bowl (which starts at 1:00pm EST, Noon CST). In order to assure that, the Cotton has to start at 10:00am.
    Sucks, but thats the facts.:(

PS-don't let the early start stop ya' from throwing a few back, I know it won't hamper my efforts.
    GEAUX TIGERS!!

10. Hillbillyhorn

Hillbillyhorn Freshman

The Big 12 has been looking worse than I thought in the Bowls. NU and CU lost, but at least Okla State won. I hope we go into this game with more emotion than CU did in the Alamo Bowl. They acted like they did not want to be there.