Hornung: " Notre Dame must lower its academic standards"...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by diamondheadtiger, Mar 31, 2004.

1. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Right on Twisted....Unfortunately the truth hurts sometimes in life. What he said was the truth and some people are having a problem accepting that. I went to SMU which has had a HORRIBLE time recruiting good athletes. If he thinks Notre Dame is having problems, he should check out my alma matter. SMU has high, high standards for even its athletes and that is hurting SMU because the partial qualifiers and guys with just barely the grades won't get into SMU and won't be offered a schollie. I am sure its the same at Notre Dame...Although I would never say it is only a "black thing" becaues there are tons and tons of white guys out there who can't qualify either...but it is a problem that plagues athletes who in the majority of cases are black...

2. ChineseBandit

ChineseBandit Founding Member

Ho hum here come the Egalitarian Stormtroopers to trample the truth.

3. LOTTERY

LOTTERY Founding Member

This is my problem. Why did he specify a race. Sure, many athletes struggle to make grades, so why didn't he say we need to lower the standards so we can have a bigger recruiting pool. Both black and white athletes struggle. Him specifying a race was plain out stupid.

4. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Indeed it was a stupid and very questionable remark, however I think we can state without sounding racist that in general blacks are more athletic. Although they make up a small percentage of the population they make up a majority percentage of pro athletes in football and basketball. That is neither good or bad it is simply a fact. I think had Hornung thought before he spoke he could have said basically the same thing yet sounded less abrassive. IMO he was talking about raising the quality of athlete that ND recruited and as DallasLSU said in an earlier post a large percentage of quality athletes are minority from less educated areas. That is not a racial statement just fact good or bad. :geaux: :lsug:

5. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

There is some good in all this controvery for LSU. I was listening to the Dan Patrick show on ESPN radio. This was the topic of discussion. Dan was making the point that maybe some players don't want to go to Notre Dame because they run the football most of the time which isn't much incentive for a WR or QB to there. He then said, to paraphrase, "Look at schools lile USC and LSU ... they have guys all over the field" I must admit, it sent chills down my spine to hear LSU being mentioned on such a national stage. I guess we aren't in Kansas anymore !

6. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Very true and it also shoots some holes in Harnungs theory as well. Saban has improved the academic quality of the athletes recruited at LSU since day one that he has been here. There are a few that have had some grade problems but the vast majority have had good grades in High School, a dramatic turnaround from the Dinardo tenure. :geaux: :lsug:

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

"There's no place like home - There's no place like home."

8. LOTTERY

LOTTERY Founding Member

What's John Brady's graduation rate?

9. DallasLSU

Honestly, I think its Saban recruiting quality guys and the fact the the ones that would cause trouble won't because they wouldn't want to dissapoint or get in trouble with Nick.

10. DallasLSU

I don't the exact number, but I wouldn't fathom it is too fantastic. Most b-ball colleges graduate a low, low number. Wasn't it Bob Huggins who hasn't graduated a player from Cinci in a long, long time? SMU graduated 100% the last few years...But you look at their record and realize why. Even Duke, who has some smart players, has a grad rate in the 50's or 60's....