News Hospital released Ebola patient by mistake

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by islstl, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

One of the best pieces of advice I got this week was from a physician (not mine) who said if you are ever going to get a flu shot, this is the year to do it. I have gotten them in the past, including every year when I was in the military, but have been lax the last few years. I take two aspirin right before and a couple of more four hours later and never feel sick.

2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I did say that I wish Obama had given the CDC temporary authority in this type of situation. Some protocol and experience is better than none. And yet, it was the CDC's PPE and symptom thresholds that changed several times in the last 10 days. If they can't settle on what's accurate, how is the public supposed to trust them. Then with the communication....pamphlets that tell foreign travelers in the US to call their doctor if they have symptoms and have been to a hot country recently? That is just a disaster waiting to happen. Then they instruct certain people to call the CDC but they don't have enough staff to handle the call volume (I doubt they included the likelihood that nervous nellies would call too), and they are way behind in follow up. The danger there is people are being told little or nothing and could be wandering around spreading more virus. Exactly who at the CDC told nurse #2 it was okay to fly that weekend?

It's like Red and Mancha alluded to earlier. The CDC is likely full of medical experts who think and operate with a different part of the brain than most and with precise measurements, etc. They should have included a human behaviorist on their team because that's the part they missed. For example, IMO, nurse #2 probably did have some symptoms before she reported the elevated temp but with an upcoming wedding and bridal party plans to tend to, she ignored or was in denial about those symptoms.

I'm still trying to figure out what in hell Dr. Nicole Lurie's job is, why she is getting paid anything at all, and why is she so completely absent from the coverage when this was her wheelhouse and job to begin with.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Nobody fired over this as of yet?

4. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

My 13-year-old got her flu shot a month ago and came down with the freakin' flu yesterday.

5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

The hospital will be careful about doing this because it could signal liability when the inevitable lawsuit is filed. The CDC probably won't because we need their
    expertise and this was sort of the unexpected trial run. From the larger government.....well, Dr. Nicole Lurie should have her ass fired and her salary to help offset the cost of the new czar's salary. Clearly he is expected to do something and for months, she has done nothing.

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

I got that shit too. feels like ebola to me.

7. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

I would hit dislike, but not an option. I hope she feels better soon. Did she catch it at school?

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

A friend of mine thought he had Ebola last week but he got well. Good thing too. He owes me $25.

9. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

No telling--but I guess that's likely. That or I brought it home from my school or she got it during the 9 hours a week she's at her dance studio.

10. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

There are no guarantees that the vaccine will be matched to the circulating virus in any given season. Even when it is matched, there are varying benefits.