House panel passes college football playoff bill

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by martin, Dec 10, 2009.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

perhaps they should disallow baseball from using the term "world series" until they include the japanese champs or the european champs, if they exist. because what they are doing is trying to ban the use of the term "national championship" unless the playoff happens.

i kinda hope they pass the bill, and it is uniformly ignored. what then? federal agents ripping down signs that say "national champs"?

this is all sort of like if i go to your house and take the ping pong paddles out of your hand because you have declared yourself "house champion" without letting your little brother have a go. few things have ever been less the business of the government.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

while i don't think congress should have anything to do with it, doesn't really hurt my feelings. only thing that worries me is that its going to end up being a more jumbled mess than it already is.

3. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

How could that possibly happen with the government involved. They'll have this thing running efficiently in no time...just like healthcare...

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

the problem is going to shift from who should be playing in the national championship game to who should be in the playoffs.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

This will die quickly on the floor.

6. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

That it even makes it to the floor is pathetic.

What do you call a government that thinks it needs to regulate every sector of public life?

I'm sure you have ideas...

7. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

so what. most people in America want a playoff. give the people what they want. let democracy rule.

who's it Really going to hurt?

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

just because the people of america want something, that doesnt mean it is a good idea. the people of america favor all sort of policies and leaders that are terrible.

private organizations should be able to make their own rules. if the ncaa wanted to declare ball state the champion based purely on how funny their name is, then so be it.

if we still had the polls determine the champion, should the same logic still apply? would the poll voters be rounded up and silenced before they could call anyone a "national champion"?

perhaps congress should declare that baseball shouldnt allow steals, or hockey goals made by lefties count double. if the government is gonna arbitrarily manage the rules of sports, then why stop here?

9. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

find out who the co-sponsors of the bill are, and throw their asses out of office.

10. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

I rather them working on this than socialized medicine.

1 person likes this.