houston bates

Discussion in 'College Recruiting' started by illini bob, Sep 6, 2011.

1. illini bob

illini bob Freshman

just thought you guys might like to know how houston bates is doing at illinois.

houston got a start at outside linebacker, shifting to middle for several plays, after a year of redshirt.

he had 5 tackles, two for losses and one sack. also one fumble recovery. for that he was selected for the big-ten freshman of the week. he looks like a real gem and has become a fan favorite.

do you have any more "greyshirts" down there who might like cold weather?

bob

2. illini bob

illini bob Freshman

in his second game, against south dakota state, houston only had 2 tackles. but the entire sdsu offense was under 100 yards. there were only 6 first downs and houston shared time with lots of bench players in what was basically a third team game by illinois. he looked good and they tried to run away from him in their few attempts. next week arizona state.

3. illini bob

illini bob Freshman

after 4 games houston is getting about the same playing time as the senior at olb. he has only made one noteworthy mistake, on one play lining up on the wrong side against arizona state. he continues to improve and they opponents are running away from his side. good pass rusher.

4. illini bob

illini bob Freshman

houston's first start

houston gets his first real start at indiana at 2:30 central. weak indiana team probably will pass and pass. illinois will probably blitz and have occasional coverage. his chance comes at the expense of brown who got a one game suspension for kneeing an opponent in the northwestern game.
    we'll see how it goes.

5. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

6. illini bob

illini bob Freshman

houston bates started at outside linebacker against indiana and had 7 solo tackles, ending third on the tackles chart.

twisted tiger asked "who?"
    houston was the linebacker who committed to lsu and then was told they didn't have a scholarship for him, but he could pay his own way.

i'm just trying to report a big career starting up.

7. geauxtigs

geauxtigs Tigers Forever

We're happy for him, but he's at Illinois now. We don't need weekly updates on his progress. Good luck to him, but he's moved on and so have we. You should too.

8. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Hard for a dad to move on from his son even if he playing somewhere other than LSU.

9. illini bob

illini bob Freshman

yes, i agree with keeping up with local people who are accomplishing. that's sports and life. i'm a close friend of greg mcmahon who is the special teams coach of the saints, and i follow him as closely as when he was at illinois. and i have rooted for the saints. we also had the head coach on the staff at illinois. i don't understand why anybody would be put out by my updates on houston bates. easy thing is not to read them instead of suggesting i shouldn't post.