How are the regional and super's chosen?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by sugarlsu, Jun 7, 2004.

1. sugarlsu

sugarlsu Founding Member

How are the regionals and super's chosen?

Does anyone really know with any authority how this is done? I don't understand how come we were not an automatic when rice got beat, but the LSU web site said that we expected to get it (which we did), not that we automatically got it? Get it? I don't!

2. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

The 16 sub-regional bids are awarded pretty much on a monetary basis, although factors such as stadium size, and having successfully hosted regionals in the past can also play a part. As far as the Super Regionals
    go, those are more or less awarded to the top 8 seeds in the nation (as determined by the NCAA committee) provided that those top 8 seeds all
    advance in their sub-regional. In Rice's case, they would have hosted had they advanced...but they didn't. Therefore, the Super goes to the next
    highest seed in the BR Sub-regional - Houston Sub-regional pair-up, which is LSU, who was one of the 16 overall #1 seeds in the tournament. I hope this clears things up for you.

3. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

They take the teams that have been there every year since it has been going on, ( only 3 ) then they weed out the one's with good coaches. ( the other two ) Whatever is left they throw this in a hat and pull out. :dis: ( that's us )

then we go to the regionals. :thumb:

SEE that's easy enough? :wink:

We should make it every year! :tigbas: :eek:ldskule: :tigbas:
    :grin:

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

if the top seeds dont advance then it comes down to money and they basically decide on that....

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

But this is only in the event the seeds are equal? Should a #2 seed come from one, and a #3 seed come from the other, they would automatically choose the #2 seed, and not base it on money/stadium/etc., right?

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

one would think they would have to but i dont know for sure.

7. islstl

Unless it's USC, then they can be 33rd seed and still get it.

Anytime you have a chance to take a jab at the condoms, you gotta take it.

Don't u think?

8. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

I may be mistaken but... Aside from 1 to 4 seeding for the sub-regionals and the top 8 national seeds, its been my understanding that there is no further seeding. For SR sites it basically comes down to...

- If a top 8 national seed makes it, they host.
    - If no top 8 national seed makes a given SR, then the most financially viable SR bid of the two participating is awarded the regional site.

Obviously in the LSU/aTm case LSU is clearly the obvious choice for financial reasons. However, if aTm had wanted to submit a SR, I believe they would have been able to. Keep in mind though that LSU had already submitted sub-regional and super regional bids before the postseason even started, in hopes they'd be getting a top 8 national seed. aTm of course has not submitted a SR bid and doing so at this point would have been .. well.. pointless anyways. LSU's bids are usually VERY financially ludicrous in comparison to most others.

9. islstl

Yeah I have to believe at this point they want the money.

10. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

The other factor is that a school has to submit a bid for a regional and SR a couple of weeks before regionals are announced. If a team wins their regional, but didn't place a bid, then they will lose out on hosting the SR. I believe this happened a few years ago to a northern school ... don't recall who it was.

The NCAA also has some restrictions about the stadium, lighting, etc., that could prevent some smaller schools from hosting, regardless of their seed. A school like Southern would probably fall into this category.