How Are You Killing The Time?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bengal B, Mar 17, 2020.

1. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

I am still going to work. See a few patients, then go home. Still scared of getting this thing. But I wear face masks or face shields when dealing with the patients.

I have my garden planted - tomatoes, cukes, squash, green beans, Swiss chard, and lettuce and some garlic. In May I will plant something else to replace the chard and lettuce. I weeded out my flower bed in the front. Still have work on the back one. Want to get grass mowed tomorrow before the rain comes. Having a Zoom meeting tonite with some friends from church. I miss everybody!

Stay safe, stay home.

GiantDuckFan, kcal and Bengal B like this.
  2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I go to work a few days a week. Mostly because I'm running a side hustle to make a few extra bucks. The place is a ghost town so its win/win. No one to infect me and no one to see what I'm doing!

3. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Worked in the big garden yesterday. Got 3 rows planted, have about 7 more to go. Took a break today...had to do some office work. I'll get back at the garden tomorrow. Been doing a lot of fishing, gardening, and working in my shop.

GiantDuckFan and Tiger in NC like this.
  4. kcal

kcal Founding Member

I am one of the fortunate ones as nothing’s really changed for me. I work virtually as a program manager for an online retailer and my part of the business isn’t affected so far

Rolan and Winston1 like this.
  5. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

My work continues as the oil production and refining business is essential as are my companies manufacturing plants. Difference is I can’t go visit customers so am doing conference call and holding virtual seminars to maintain contact. Not sure what the next few quarters hold as projects and capital spending is being squeezed.
    Other than that it’s getting boring as the clubs I belong to are closed for the duration. To get out I’m picking up my running through neighborhoods and driving around. I do pickup meals from local restaurants to help then stay in business.

6. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

this sounds remarkably like my life the past week or so. Put in a new flower bed for the wife earlier this week, took one out from the back yard last week. Garden coming along better than most years with all the extra time. best part has been getting to spend some time with my 16 year old son and teaching him how to rebuild a carburetor on my old tiller. he's suddenly interested in learning how to garden....probabaly just boredom but it's been fun joking around with him while we are working together. He's a good kid. trying to spend most all of my days outside and reserving inside and TV for nights. went down to the lake house this past weekend just to make sure everything was safe....were reports of some vandalism but none at our place. wet a hook while we were down there from the pier as we aren't allowed on boats for now. caught 4-5 nice sauc-a-lait off our pier where we sink our christmas tree every year but nothing like they were biting 2-3 weeks ago....still nice to get out.

7. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

I have been shelter in place for 3 weeks at home here in San Fran bay area. Working on trainings and projects. Updated east region SOP owners , prepared 2 safety presentations, do online trainings as assigned.

I just heard Bay area is shelter in place till May 3rd now.

Since I am high risk with diabetes and kidney failure my wife has gone to store for groceries. When she has to go into her office to support boss she goes in at 6:00 am when no one is there.

Starting to get a little stir crazy now. We were originally scheduled to go on Baltic Sea cruise leaving april 23rd but cancelled.

Oh well be safe guys . I have a lot of family still in Louisiana and I am praying for you guys,

Winston1, el005639 and KyleK like this.
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I read somewhere the other day that 42% of those who died had diabetes and 31% had kidney disease. Don't leave you house for any reason/ Is there a way to disinfect food wrappings and containers as well as raw fruits and vegetables?

9. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I read an article from a PhD in food safety who said that wasn't necessary. I'll try to find the link.

10. APPTiger

APPTiger still unable to post Geaux Tigers!

Anything with a hard seal shouldn't need disinfecting but wash those hands. Anything where you eat the skin, peel or cut it should be cleaned. Think banana vs. grapes.
    For disinfecting food wrappers, just wipe them down with a lysol wipe if you have any. If you don't a paper towel or rag with bleach or rubbing alcohol. Don't soak but wipe damp and let dry. If you are washing out a container, use a dishwashing liquid that kills bacteria or bleach. Rinse well and let dry.
    On the fruits and veggies, submerse then rinse well in warm water with fruit and veggie wash if you have it. Can get in most supermarkets in the dishwashing aisle or produce section.

Yes, I left the desk job a couple of years ago and transferred to our stores...grocery stores. Easing into retirement after 25 years of 50+ hours of high stress a week. Type 2 diabetic staring down a couple thousand scavengers a day. Wasn't worried at all until I heard the diabetic stuff....

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Winston1 and Bengal B like this.