How bout them Tigers

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Sabertooth, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Founding Member

I been very critical on this board of LSU Basketball team this year because I knew that LSU was better than they displayed in the 5 game losing streak in January. I still firmly believe scheduling better in the preconference schedule would have prepared this team better early in the SEC season. However, that is over and this Tiger team had turned things around. It’s time for Tigers fans to support this team in the Tiger’s final game against Alabama and in the SEC tournament being hosted in the Superdome this year. I was very critical of John Brady this season also, but John has seemed to turn things around this season also. Tonight was probably one of John’s better performances from the bench. Ole Miss is a team that gives LSU match-up problems. I witnessed that in LSU’s first game against Ole Miss, which was on TV. John took key timeouts, which generated points in very crucial points in the game. He changed his defense, which confuse Ole Miss in very critical points in the game. Ole Miss was forced take a timeout with 17 seconds left on the shot clock with about 3 minutes to go and LSU had either a 6 or 9 point lead. Brady did a very good job of coaching in the last 6 minutes of this game.

Let’s take it to Alabama this Saturday and secure a possible NCAA birth.

2. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

We are thrilled and overjoyed with the performance of our basketball team today.

Our baseball team won, too!

I do love the Purple and Gold.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

This is a question, not a comment. I don't know the answer and wonder if anyone has any idea. Between December 3 and December 14 LSU played McNeese, TA&M Corpus Christi and Prairie View. They won all 3 by an average of 27 points. Suppose, instead, we had played Syracuse, OK State and Xavier, all top 20 RPI teams and lost all 3. Our record would now be 15 and 12. With all else being equal, would be be in better or worse position for an NCAA bid? Don't say "those teams would have prepared us better for SEC play and we'd have more conference wins". That's not the question.

4. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

How about this question...

What if you remove those three games completely and our record is 15-9. Would our RPI be higher or lower?

My answer to SabanFan's question is that we would be in a worse position to be selected this year if that happened. However, I want to play games like that early in the season (now that the program is starting to develop).

5. SabanFan

I know I'm in the minority but early in the season I would rather beat a bad team than lose to a good one.

6. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Founding Member

Question Answered

Beating a very weak team early in the season does nothing but build confidence if that. How are you going to learn anything about your team if you are not challenge as team? You will never learn your weaknesses, your tendencies; you will never learn how to win close games and first and far most you must fail before you succeed. I 'm not challenging we schedule three top 20 RPI teams in a row early in the season. Let's throw in more games like Texas A&M quality teams. I bet Brady will admit that they learn a lot more as a team by losing to Texas A&M rather than beating the tar out of TA&M Corpus Christi. I would say throw in teams more in 50-150 RPI range rather than +300. LSU strength of schedule was > 300 before playing Arizona at home. (Just my opinion)

But to answer you question SabanFan, LSU would probably be in the same boat if not a little worst right now. If they would finish 8-8 and 16-12 playing in the toughest conference in college basketball according to Saragrin and RPI, I think they would get in. Georgia got in at 16-14 a couple of years ago with a .500 conference record. The SEC was not the toughest conference back them either. The bottom line is the NCAA selection committee likes teams who play tough schedules. They would take a 16-12 over 18-10/19-9 if the schedule strength was a big difference - conference records being the same. If LSU does not get in, which I feel they should get in, the strength of non-conference schedule will be the difference. You see it every year.

Enough on scheduling, John has next season to handle that. Let's seize the moment and support this LSU basketball team.

7. SabanFan

Your points are well taken Sabretooth. By golly, you may have even swayed me over to your side. :)