How Can Guys be So Stupid?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Proud Tiger, Jul 23, 2004.

1. sparkafatty

sparkafatty Founding Member

character judgements do not equal guilt. i am sure most on this board, if their personal lives were exposed to all, would have some moments they are not real proud of and don't look like shining character moments. hell we all have had drunken college rampages etc. ... if kobe is found non guilty then the sex was deemed consentual... i know we all have war stories about times we hit it.......... if you don't you just ain't livin!:grin:

2. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Founding Member

C'mon sparky, share a couple of war stories with us :hihi:

3. sparkafatty

sparkafatty Founding Member

if you read the other board, and i know you do, i have posted plenty over there.

4. Proud Tiger

Which board do you refer to?

5. turbotiger

turbotiger Founding Member

Well yeh, enforce the law. I just am not going to condemn a kid because he got caught with a little weed. College kids are college kids, most haven't fully grown up yet. When I was in college alot of people, girls and guys, smoked weed and then graduated and moved on. It was a dumb thing but how severe should the punishment be for such an offense? I think if you divert the kid from his best chance of becoming a productive citizen then the punishment was too much. I really believe football players benefit from the experiences they get with a football program, the guidance they receive from their coaches can really help alot of these kids take a productive path, so dismissing him from that for THIS offense would be too much IMO. I say make him get up at 4:20 every morning and run gassers. :wink:

:lsug:
    :champs:

6. Proud Tiger

I agree but how do you feel considering this was his third chance. TT gave him two chances at Auburn (I can assure you he has the same philosophy you state) and a third chance at jacksonville St. where he would have been playing this Fall. I should point out the he has been arrested.....not yet charged.....let alone convicted.

7. BB

BB Founding Member

Turbo,

What you are saying makes some sense, but what makes these situations different is that these kids are on scholarship to play football and get an education - smoking weed is a direct violation of the rules. College football is big business these days and scholarships are very closely guarded by coaches due to limitations. Also, the negative publicity and distractions this kind of behavior brings on is a coach's nightmare as he is working to ready his team for the season.

If you and I roll up a fatty joint at your apartment and get pulled over with the stuff in the car on our way to Taco Bell, we're going to be arrested - that would be a situation of college kids being college kids and making a bad decision. Slap on the wrist from Judge Judy and we're out. College football players are not living the same lives as you and I, and, therefore, they must live under stricter rules and more intense scrutiny.

Bottom line = I don't care if daddy wasn't around when you were coming up. I don't care if you grew up in a rough neighborhood. I don't care what is and was normal in your life prior to coming to college. I don’t care if Ray Ray or Billy Bob or Fat Joe from 31st Street told you to - If you are awarded the opportunity to: attend and graduate from college for FREE, receive superior academic support and privileges for FREE, become a regional or national superstar, have access to some of the finest athletic and training facilities in the world for FREE, receive top-notch medical support and analysis around the clock for FREE, have meals prepared and your nutrition and diet laid out for FREE, get equipment, clothing, rings, trophies, plaques, cleats and anything else you wear for FREE, be the most popular guy in the room after your playing days are over, play on National Television, put on that helmet, lace up those cleats, RUN THROUGH THAT FREAKING TUNNEL AND MAKE THOSE 90,000 FANS LOSE THEIR MINDS…

Don’t smoke weed, understand the rules, abide by the rules and keep your mouth shut. If you have a problem with this, turn your ass around before you walk onto campus because we ain’t gonna’ feel sorry for you when you blow your once in a lifetime opportunity. Some guy on an internet forum somewhere might feel sorry for you, but the coaches and the University sure as hell won’t. Any questions…

8. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Great post BB :thumb:

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

for free? football players earn most of the billions of dollars the NCAA and television networks stuff in their pockets each year.

10. turbotiger

turbotiger Founding Member

You guys make some good points...

and I think the thing I see in both of the posts above is OPPORTUNITY.

In this case, the kid did have the ultimate opportunity. Go to school and get a free education and play football. then he got that again. then he got that again. and again.

In rethinking this I agree with you guys more than before. In life you have to be ready to open the door when opportunity knocks. You have to take it and do the most you can with it, because it may not come back by. In my life, I haven't had any opportunities nearly as promising as what this guy has had placed in front of him. So In another way of thinking it kind of disgust me to see someone waste so much for so little.

I still hate to see college kids get in trouble for stuff like this because it is so prevalant, but I see your points, he isn't just "another" college kid, and should act accordingly.

Good post!