How different would a Jamarcus Russell and Gary Crowton led offense have been?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TenTexLA, Sep 27, 2007.

1. TenTexLA

TenTexLA Founding Member

I know we are only 4 games into the season. But with the huge passing and rushing numbers this offense is putting up I wonder how this would have effected our offense and Jamarcus Russell the past 2 years.

I have to believe JR would have been in NY for the Heisman event. It also seems Crowton's offense makes the defense so much more dominating when you average the yardage we are putting up. It's hard to imagine what Matt Flynn would have done against SC if he had been 100%.

Finally we have opened things up and we're utilizing all our best players.

2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I don't think it would have been as effective. Flynn and Perrilloux are more the prototype, spread option qb's. His offense plays to their strengths.

3. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

I think that we would have still used 2 quarterbacks. JR had a little mobility, but not what it takes to run the spread. Our passing numbers so far this year are pretty low. If JR was here he would have probably busted 1200 yrds in the air.

I don't think the offense would be that different, just a little more verticle. And 3rd and 20 would be really no big deal, where as now is is a near impossible for us.

4. tigerdro

tigerdro GEAUX TIGERS!

i think it would have been a different offense with JR and GC - different from what it was last year and still different from the MF/RP/GC offense this year. i think crowton is creative and talented enough that he would have found better ways to use JR's strengths.

5. offshoretrash

offshoretrash Founding Member

I don't know about that, remember Tim Rattay?

It doesn't really matter now anyway. I am just glad we got him!

6. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

If Russell were still here the offense would look way more like it did last year, and have a more effective passing game.

7. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Didn't remember him but checked and in '97, he passed for 3876 yards but only ran for 87 so, no, I'd say he's not a spread option QB. Crowton's offense is "Spread option", not "Spread". If the qb can't run, neither can the offensive scheme.

Just by comparison, RP has 129 yards on 23 carries and Flynn, though only 60 on 22 carries, sat out a game and was hampered by injury in another- both sharing time in other games. Throw in our RB's and you can see the bigger picture of Crowton's offense and how the dual-purpose qb fits in.

8. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

First, I'm not so sure we're putting up HUGE numbers. Certainly, we're doing well.

Second, I'm pretty sure the coaches take the talent and skills of their players into account when they design offensive schemes. So maybe it wouldn't be quite as different as we might think.

I agree it's more open, and I love it as well. I just don't think having Russell here necessarily would mean he'd get handed the keys to the same offense that Flynn.

9. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

Jamarcus Russell? Isn't he that guy who plays for the Raiders?

10. "Hurricane"

"Hurricane" Founding Member

No, he's the guy that gets paid $68 million to watch the Raiders play.:hihi:
    Seriously, he's gonna rip it up when he gets the nod. And it WILL be this season.