How do I cook a steak without a grill?

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by mobius481, Jan 21, 2013.

1. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Yes, I read something like that yesterday while looking into this. I do like the texture on the outside though so I will continue to sear.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The taste. Seared fresh meat is gooood.

3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Even fake grill marks on frozen food that you heat up to eat looks/tastes better with those seared markings.

4. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I did leave out a couple steps:

I have heard of people salting the beef overnight and letting it sit, uncovered in the refrigerator overnight. Perhaps they feel it's a quick aging process, but IMO it's several weeks shy of having a real effect to the meat. The only real important thing before you cook is ensure the meat is the same temperature all of the way through. I usually have it sitting out, salted for about an hour. That seasons it well and gets the temperature right.

Heat the cast iron skillet as hot as you can get it. I add fresh ground pepper to the steak and then lightly coat it with an oil with a high flash point (canola) before throwing it in the skillet. I sear both sides on the stove top for about 30 seconds. Once that's done I place it in the oven under the broiler. AFter about 3-4 minutes, I flip it. The (somewhat) frequent flipping of the meat ensures that it cooks evenly, all of the way through. Once I pull it out, I let it rest in butter (or with pats of butter), minced garlic, etc. and covered with a dish towel.

Of course, all of this is pointless is you're buying subpar beef...

5. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

My Mom used to smother Ribeye's in a magnalite (spelling?) pot, cook them on a low fire for what seemed like all afternoon, made a gravy with vegetables in it....to die for.

stevescookin and LSUTiga like this.
  6. LSUTiga

Try that with a T bone but have it sliced VERY thin...or like my grandmother would say, "tin". NO bigger than 1/2 inch. Butcher will look at you like you're crazy but trust me, great gravy.

7. LSUTiga

I think someone mentioned this already but I've found salting ahead of time draws out the moisture. Ever see what salt does to a slug?

So many people don't even know there are #1 and #2 ribeyes. Be careful when they're on sale.

8. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

Isn't it called choice and prime? To differentiate the qualities of meat?

9. LSUTiga

I wish it was that easy cause then maybe I'd be familiar enough to give you a better answer.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture sets the standards for beef grades. There are eight major grades, of which prime is the highest and choice is the second highest, followed by select.

Prime grade beef comes from cattle that is 18 to 24 months old. Choice beef comes from cattle that are older than 24 months. Beef grades are determined by meat marbling, age and color. Problem is, without a very trained eye, once beef has been cut, trimmed, and packaged, the grading legend (label) has been removed.

BUT

- -A prime rib roast is the portion of the meat cut from the rib section of the cow and includes ribs.
    Contrary to its name, a prime rib roast does not have to be cut from the prime, according to the USDA. According to the Uniform Retail Meat Industry Standards, or URMIS, the proper name of the roast is simply beef rib roast. Rib-eye steaks are cut from the roast at the butcher or grocery store and sold individually.

-Most true prime rib roasts sold in the United States are sold to upscale restaurants and by mail order. A true prime rib roast must be labeled with the USDA Prime seal

I had a summer job working in a meat dep't at Delchamps and one thing that always struck me was when it "says" it, be careful. Example: 3 grades of ground meat:

1/ "Round"
    2/ "Chuck"
    3/ "Lean"

The third one, "lean" is THE least quality in terms of fat. Unlike our steaks, most people don't want the fat (which is called marbeling in a steak). The ground round is the leanest. People who know meat know this so they don't have to advertise it.

tigerchick46 likes this.
  10. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I hear people make this claim, but that's basically what the aging process is: reducing water in beef. I have salted it overnight and it weighed exactly the same as before I salted it.