How do we handle the QB situation from here on out?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Oct 10, 2010.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

oh yeah, forgot about Ridley being in on that play.

totally dumb.

They corrected it. That's what matters.

2. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

I will leave it up to the coaches, to me Lee is the clear leader. But it seems JJ has confidence issues, and if we don't start him he may be worthless. He surely came out strong, and until that costly turnover looked great. After that I am not sure why we didn't see more Lee.

3. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I agree with this, Get Lee 2/3 of the drives. His drives are more productive. He can utilize Toliver, Randal, and Shepard better than JJ can. While JJ is a good runner, those 3 wides can do more damage when they get the ball downfield. With Ridley, Blue, Ford, Murphy, Ware, we don't really need JJ's runs so much.

If you got a little more points out of Lee's drive by giving him more drives, I think we could stop being behind by 6 pts. with 59 seconds to go. Wouldn't that be nice.

4. roynav

roynav free your mind

I'm a certified lip reader. Les told JL: "tell the negatigers who tried to run you out of town in 2008 and 2009 to kiss your @ss.":grin:

5. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

If anyone had any questions or doubts about Jarret Lee's psyche going into last nights contest, they should be alleviated this morning. There should be no doubt that he is ready to lead this team. It is clear that they trust him and vise-versa. The offense reminded me a lot of the '07 unit when he ran it: very balanced and scoring at will. Believe it or not, that may actually be a Gary Crowton offense. Historically, his play-calling has been pretty balanced. But that's a whole other topic.

The offense clearly runs much, much more effectively/efficiently when Lee is in. For starters, his throws are quick, decisive, and accurate. Tollivers explosion last night wasn't a stroke of luck, he was just finally getting the ball delivered to him on time. Secondly, the offense seems to have a real swagger with him back there. The entire unit plays more confidently and just gels better. And the running game also appears to be much more productive. It seemed like Ridley was getting a first down nearly every time he touched the ball. We really looked unstoppable against a respectable defense.

I do like having Jefferson's abilities in certain situations. He definitely gives the defense a bit more to think about. But it doesn't need to be go-to strategy every time we get to the 5yd line. Ridley was practically falling forward for 3-6 yards, yet he was sitting on the sidelines in goal-line situations. Go with the sure thing and give it to the guy that got you there. No sense in changing it up so much. That's what nearly cost us the TN game. Also, JJ is not as good running the zone-read because a) he has only a few reps running it, and b) he's really not fast enough to run it. But it would be a nice wrinkle if we could execute it better.

It's a good strategy to keep JJ involved to some degree. It keeps him from becoming disconnected with the game. However, although he showed improvement last night, he is not the guy who is going to sustain drives for us. They play-calling when he was the QB on a drive was more of the same: run, run, pass on 3rd & long. Seems like such a wasted possession considering what he had shown that we could do.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Lee should start and play most of the game. Jefferson should go only in for special situations. Lee passes better, he throws touchdowns, he hits his wideouts, is quicker on the uptake, shows more poise under pressure, and his passing threat in the game keeps 7 men in the box opening up holes for Ridley.

I think Jefferson has played himself into a reserve role at QB with zero passing TD's in 5 games, less than 100 yards passing per game and over 3 times as many interceptions as touchdowns. Save him for 3rd and short and red-zone running situations.

Lee is the man that is going to move us down the field.

7. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

His release is so quick, also, he gets rid of the ball much quicker.