How do we sleep when our Mosque is burning?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Nov 29, 2010.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Great. Now we'll never shut him up.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

seriously how many times have you gotten in an argument with Red and after a while just said f it, i'm done.

Edit: I would like to add Martin to that list of should be a lawyer or lobbyist. :D

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

yes, i would hope that you would just be my friend and understand what i meant in context without needlessly stirring up trouble to hassle me. i meant, and said that for my purposes a lie was simply a statement, and you were not a liar unless you said it with intent.

of course! but supA is not a liar for telling the lies, because he believes what he is saying! why am i repeating this!

WITH INTENT TO DECEIVE. i am drooping my head in sadness that you wont pay attention.

i have no idea what you are doing. the word "knowingly" is in YOUR definition. thats what telling a lie is! how can i be explainin this to an adult.

i dunno hitler well enough to say. he certainly seemed pretty serious about what he said.

exactly. i dont think i would claim hiter was a lair, he seemed to really be full of anger and hate and bloodlust. maybe he lied all the time to get what he wanted, or perhaps he found a willing audience, maybe i should learn more about him.

that is exactly correct. finally we are making progress. you can never know if someone is lying unless you know they are intending to deceive.

this is the question that keeps me up at night. i wonder about people. dishonest or crazy, i wonder. is supa dishonest? no. crazy? yeah kinda. is obama a liar? yes, probably, he is not really a christian, he says that for politics. george bush, stupid or dishonest or crazy? kinda stupid, kinda crazy, but also brilliant in some ways. this is one of the most fascinating things about being alive, figuring people out. so i know it is hard to determined when someone is lying, because you must be inside their head. thats the challenge, thats the fun.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

for the record i like this new thing you are doing with colored text

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Suit jobs, paperwork, piss in a bottle, people-schmoozing, lying for a living, cut-throat politics, corporate policy . . . naaaaa. I have a job that suits me far, far better.

Not at all. You just have to be perceptive . . . and get your facts right.

I'm just good at logic and dispute. And ruthless . . . debate is a blood sport. :grin:

6. red55

Because you are up to your old trick of ignoring the alternate definitions, why do you think I posted them, Junior? Can you be so quarrelsome as to not recognize that multiple definitions exist? Clearly a lie can be described both as "intent to deceive" and as "inaccurate or false"

Nonsense, you only need to know the truth. If Supa says that the Jesus was an Eskimo, he is telling a lie, whether he believes it sincerely or not.

Uhhhh . . . OK. I can see that you are done now.

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

maybe it is you that is ignoring the alternates! not sure why you get to tell me which meaning i am using. if an englishman tells you he like to suck on fags do you assume he is gay even though you know damn well he means cigarettes? you dictate which meaning people mean?

i just dont understand what you are doing. there are multiple meanings to words. i tell you how i am using a word, what it means in the context i am am using the word, then you tell me i am not doing that.

his is quite literally "telling a lie" in the sense that he is vocalizing the statement, which is a lie. but he is not doing the act of lying, meaning saying something he knows not to be true.

i am gonna assume you are just messing with me, in which case, bravo, i will buy you a cold one at pastime if i ever go to baton rouge again.

8. red55

Come on a football weekend and I'll get you a ticket. But that will cost you beer AND pizza.

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

PIZZA?!:eek:

10. red55

Never been to the Pastime, eh?