How Does Kapernick Feel About the Flags on 911

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by CalcoTiger, Sep 11, 2018.

1. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

Toby Keith sings about loving America and I’d just rather hear “Should’ve Been a Cowboy”

LaSalleAve likes this.
  2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Obviously just my opinion, but I think in general pro athletes are overpaid in terms of societal importance. Hookers are exciting and productive, their industry generates plenty of money, and customers pay thousands of dollars for them to perform. In fact, some customers are willing to drive to another town to pay for one so their spouse or girlfriend won't be around to watch him do his thing. Working girls don't make NFL money.
    I wouldn't take a million to play football cause I'm not a football player. Likewise, you'd be hard pressed to find an NFL player willing to take a low 6-figure salary to manage over 600 people or be a mom for free. You might have a hard time finding players willing to stick around to father all the babies they make.
    I get that generalizing is your thing but it's not accurate. Everyone has a "platform". And we all have the ability to discern the appropriateness of putting our voice to that platform based on the occasion. I wouldn't go to someone's home for dinner and start talking politics. I don't drop off other people's children and then lecture the working mom about her lack of availability.

Yes, that's correct. They get paid to play their sport and entertain. I don't want to hear about their bullshit. Do it off the field, not while you are at work. Normal people can get fired for even putting their personal opinion on Facebook, etc.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Winston1 likes this.
  3. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Really? This is your comparison? The second Toby Keith does or says something that puts him at odd with his fans, and record sales decline, he'll get dumped by the record company or he'll make less money. See Dixie Chicks.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Normal people wouldn’t get hired if they cried at a job interview or starting talking about tin foil conspiracy theories either.

My point is and I think to an extent everyone is guilty of this. Shut up and entertain me if you don’t agree. I mean it’s easy to see it with a person like Taylor Swift. If it were you or I we would probably be talking about issues we find important as well.

5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I consider myself a fairly normal person. I've been sexually abused and molested. And then one day, I was a manager with 10 supervisors reporting to me, including one who had been deadwood in another department but got sent to me as driftwood. She was horrible, came in late every day, didn't do her job, complained about everything. So I started off by giving her a verbal warning which was thoroughly documented. Nothing changed so she got another verbal. Then it moved to a written, and finally we arrived at a final written warning with another instance resulting in termination. So she went to HR and filed a complaint against me that was full of lies and accused me of discrimination despite my abundance of documentation. I was literally deposed by the HR department and asked questions about my personal life. They interviewed my staff and their direct reports asking about me, my leadership, etc. They interviewed my boss and my peers. For a week, I was put under the microscope, and I was undermined. It went from a job I loved to one I loathed. It took everything I had to walk in to that office every day with my held held high knowing what was being said behind my back. I lost 15 lbs in 2 weeks and I wasn't anywhere near overweight to begin with. I cried....a lot...and lost a lot of professional self-esteem, all based on someone else's LIES. At the end of the day, our legal counsel determined that it would cost far more to go to court so they paid her $15k, agreed to fund her college degree, and sent her packing as long as she agreed not to sue me or the company. It was a gut punch even though I understood the decision.

So sorry, but if a man is falsely accused of a sexual crime and his life is turned upside down because of it, particularly when there is NO proof, then you nor I nor anyone else should stand in judgment of his reaction. If a job interview arose at the pinnacle of your career/industry and some broad from high school went to the local paper and told everyone you had tried to rape her....how do you think YOU would react in that interview? I doubt it would be calm, cool, and collected. But none of us really knows if we aren't in his shoes.

GiantDuckFan, Winston1 and LSUTiga like this.
  6. LaSalleAve

I can’t tell you how I would react. I can tell you if I acted like him. I would have dropped out after.

7. BAY0U BENGAL

Ok, so I’m not funny. I’ll see myself out

GiantDuckFan and uscvball like this.
  8. LaSalleAve

Doesn’t he have a weed smoking song? I was about to post how come no one gets on you when you are sarcastic. But I didn’t read this entire page.

9. BAY0U BENGAL

Yeah. I’m not as funny as I think I am.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  10. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Me either. Which reminds me of another career "a ha" moment. During my professional development, I was offered a coach who would work with me to better understand myself as a leader and how to be more effective. In one of our first meetings, she asked me if I thought of myself as funny. I said, yes of course. She asked me how I knew and I told her because everyone laughed at my jokes and sarcasm. Her response? How could I be sure it wasn't nervous laughter because they were just glad it wasn't them who was the target of my joke. Just.....damn. Major mirror moment.

And you've given me another.....sometimes, but not all the time, I take things too seriously. I could lighten up a bit. Apologies.