How far down does USC fall after losing to Arizona State this weekend?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Oct 11, 2004.

?

How far does USC drop with a loss?

Poll closed Oct 18, 2004.
  1. Remains #1

12 vote(s)
    31.6%

1 vote(s)
    2.6%

7 vote(s)
    18.4%

6 vote(s)
    15.8%

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  6. #6 (behind all other undefeated teams)

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. BB

BB Founding Member

If defeating A & M is such a big deal for Utah, why isn't A & M ranked in the coaches poll?

Utah's "Schedule"

vs Texas A&M
    at Arizona
    at Utah State
    vs Air Force
    at New Mexico
    vs North Carolina
    vs UNLV
    at San Diego State
    vs Colorado State
    at Wyoming
    BYU

Wisconsin is 6-0 with 3 Big 10 wins and a win @ OHIO STATE!

If you are in a non-BCS Conference you had better play some ranked teams if you want respect - ie: Fresno State. Give me a break with all this Utah crap...

2. BB

BB Founding Member

If every team on your schedule has a better basketball program than football program you are not playing with the big boys, so why should you be allowed to sit at the Big Boy Table?

3. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

All I have to say to that is, if Utah doesn't deserve a BCS bowl, neither does West Viriginia (or whoever comes out of the Big East).

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

defend Utah? I could care less about their non-BCS standing. I view them from a handicapping perspective and allot my investment when the numbers are right.

sports investing would be an unsuccessful venture for me if I saw it any other way. I can't afford to be biased.

5. BB

BB Founding Member

We all likely agree that college football exists for entertainment (for us) and for money (for those who profit from it) - so, why reward a team like Utah over another team that has provided people with both entertainment value and monetary value (like Texas vs OU, UGA vs Tenn, Auburn vs LSU, Miami vs Florida State, USC vs Cal, Florida vs Tenn, etc... - if a team fails all season to play in the BIG, entertaining matchups why should they be given a piece of the pie at season's end? Allowing Utah to play in a BCS game would be like allowing ramah to gamble with your life savings because he has one good week in Vegas - everyone loses.

It's very simple and very clear - if you want in, play your way in. Fresno State, Troy State, Southern Miss, and so many others seem to get it - but we will give props to freaking Utah for beating the absolutely rock bottom A & M program at home?

Southern Miss went to Nebraska (in week 1!) and got a BCS win, their game against Cal was postponed due to the hurricane, they will play @ ALABAMA, and play the meat of their Conference Schedule on the road to include @ TCU and @ Memphis - now, THAT is a schedule worthy of BCS consideration if they should run the table. Utah's schedule is a joke in comparison and if you disagree you are either drunk, lying, or both. Southern Miss sits ranked #25. Why?

6. tirk

just because you're uninformed about other teams it doesnt make them less credible.

Texas A&M has won and covered every game since Utah annihilated them. they smoked Clemson, K State who were both projected to be bowl teams. Wyoming has won every game since A&M shellacked them while also crushing Iowa St last week. better check the SOS. Aggies are 19th overall.

K ST and Clemson are on par or better than Nebraska so Im not sure you using them as a quality win.

I usually agree with most of your views yet you shoulda done more homework here.

7. BB

BB Founding Member

I know what is going on around the league, tirk, and my homework is always done. I just can't bring myself to forget that A & M won 4 football games in 2003 (Utah, Arkansas State, Baylor, and Kansas if I'm not mistaken). Yes, they make for a quality win at this point in time, but they still have one of the toughest schedules in the nation yet to go. Looking forward, S. Miss will not be able to pass Utah if they both win out because Utah is so insanely over-ranked right now. The A & M circle of thinking that you are basing this on is a deck of cards waiting to crumble - but, we will still have F***ING Utah in the Top 10...

8. BB

BB Founding Member

Let me ask you this, tirk: Do you feel that LSU should be ranked ahead of Utah if we'd won the Auburn game?

9. tirk

Utah has beaten A&M, Arizona, Air Force, Utah St and New Mexico thus far.

While you are basing Utah on who they've played thus far, Im speaking from a different perspective. If they play say, a Nebraska....I'm all over Utah with a decent vegas line. I dont care where they play...preferably Lincoln.

If they play S Miss, I'd take them given the same circumstances.

with that said, Id rate Utah near LSU if LSU had beaten Auburn for my own personal rankings. If i had an AP vote and followed the way the lemmings do?

they vote one loss teams below undefeated teams. Plus now SOS is omitted from the deal its even worse.

10. tirk

you cant base your rankings on what you think will happen in the future. you base it on current performance. You can wait for whatever to crumble but you're misinformed. just because you think something doesn't make it so. I could be wrong as well but I do watch as many games and teams as possible and base my opinion on that. regardless the team name.