How good is Coach Fran?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by J_Oats, Nov 14, 2002.

1. J_Oats

J_Oats Founding Member

I say he is the best coach in the SEC. When Fran first came to Alabama, all the tiders were talking about how he was going to restore the tradition of dominance at Alabama. I never bought into that. I figured, so he won at TCU, what does that mean in the SEC? Well, it apparently means a lot, because what other coach could take a team with nothing really to play for as far as postseason goes, and not even the most talented team in the SEC, and turn them into a top 10 team. As much as I hate to say it, when Bama goes off probation, I see some SEC and National titles in their future. Damn that hurts. But hey, I'm thinking it would be bad for LSU for Bama to do good, but why couldn't the west with Bama and LSU turn into the east with Florida and Tennessee in the 90's. A rivalry like that would bring a lot to both schools, so now I'm kinda looking forward to it.

1 person likes this.
  2. TIDE-HSV

TIDE-HSV Founding Member

Saint, I hate to quibble, but, Hey!, what are these boards for..

I've always thought the "he's coaching somebody else's players" argument was specious. In the first place, the "somebody else" obviously couldn't coach them, or he wouldn't be gone, would he? If the first guy couldn't coach, should we presume that he could recruit? It also seems to presume that the successor coach can't be judged, somehow, until he's been at the school for four years, also obviously erroneous. It may take that long to judge him as a recruiter, but not as a preparer and game-day coach. There is some validity in the argument, I admit - Terry Bowden is the best example I can recall. However, in Fran's case, let's look at his record at TCU. He followed Pat Sullivan, who won only once his last season, and Fran immediately turned in a winning performance. In this case, is "he won with someone else's players" a compliment, or does it just show that the predecessor couldn't coach. Probably both. Finally, take a look at the roster you'll face Sat. night, and you'll see a bunch of true freshmen (2), RS freshmen and a couple of sophomores recruited by Fran. There are very good seniors and juniors, also, but pay attention to the backups before you put that knock on Fran. If Peprah (CB) picks a pocket like he's done a couple of times this year already, remember that he's Fran's recruit. I think a good coach can put his stamp on a team before he's playing with 100% his own recruits. Fran is a good example. Saban is another.

3. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

So I guess that ONE year that Nick has on our Coach in the SEC makes him your elite pick.

Isn't Nick also playing with someone elses players? Yep.

Ok Nick won the SEC last year in his SECOND season at LSU.
    Coach Fran can't compete because of sanctions in his second season, but he does have the better record as of this date. 8-2 vs 7-2 and on a 4 game winning streak vs a 1 game hail mary. And as so many say, it's what have you done lately.

I would wager a bag of red beans and a sack of rice that Coach Fran wins back to back SEC titles before Coach Nick does. ;)

4. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Well I take your bet seeing we have to wait almost 2 more years to start...

Not a Jab, I think Fran is great, but to Date Saban has done an amazing job. As of 2003 Saban is the best coach of the SEC win or lose on Saturday.

But that is me, and who am I.

5. TIDE-HSV

TIDE-HSV Founding Member

You am who you am, and we be who we be....

rtr

6. EastBankTiger

EastBankTiger Founding Member

You heard it here first...

everyone else (including bama fans) is always trying to tell us that Nick's bailing anytime, it's just a question of which NFL team gets him. Well, I'll say it here, in front of anyone that wants to read it....FRAN BAILS OUT OF BAMA BEFORE NICK LEAVES LSU...laugh now, but if it comes to pass, remember where you read it.

1 person likes this.
  7. Hub

Hub Founding Member

Hold the Horses.....

Last year i questioned how good a coach Fran was going to be based on some calls he made in various games.....i have grown convinced this year though that he will turn into a pretty good check in the SEC.....best?....we'll have to see. Saban the best?.....we'll have to see. 2 or 3 years is too short a period to determine.

This isn't a dig against Bama but what i believe to be the truth. Things are good right now but the impact of the scholarship limitations haven't even begun to take effect. That's another 2 years away. You could have the best recruiter in the nation, but losing that many scholarships in that short period of time is devastating. Trying times will come and we'll have to see how the Bama Faithful and Coach Fran make it through it.

1 person likes this.
  8. TIDE-HSV

TIDE-HSV Founding Member

Hub, what you say is the "bible," and, I'm sure..

what the NCAA intended. However, the "bible" for how to beat recruiting restrictions was written by Miami - you recruit very, very carefully, and you hold attrition to a minimum. I know that Fran says privately that the sanctions can be largely rendered toothless, and he's made a great start. However, we'll see. Let's remember this conversation and each other's handled and revisit this in a couple of years. And, it's not correct that the sanctions have started to bite - they started to bite with last year's recruiting class with all the negative PR and uncertainty.

9. Hub

Hub Founding Member

We'll See....

Not sure what "bible" your talking about.

anyway, true the negative recruiting and bad pub have had an impact already. but you could still collect 25 bodies. When you're relegated to what is it 19 a year? that's going to get a lot tougher. true, if you recruit very carefully you can suppress or avoid it but depth will be an issue regardless. think about the % of signees who don't pan out....I don't mean not make it to school but don't turn out that good......with the limited scholarships it'll make that "careful" all the more important.

I liken it to the genious in Starkvegas (I hate Miss St with a passion...no reason just do). He molested the JUCO route for years and i always thought that if he ever had a rash of injuries or wasn't careful in who he took he would be in trouble. not that it is the only reason for his demise now but it sure the hell has contributed.

I'll be here in a couple of years, don't worry. Either ready to eat my crow or serve it up.

Good Luck saturday.....but not too much.

10. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

Re: We'll See....

So far Fran's recruits are panning out and attrition has been minimal. I recall some of DuBose's classes that were top 5 and when you looked for them on the field they were nowhere to be found. Many were signed and placed and never played, lots didn't qualify. Many just didn't make the grade or grades. And the injuries were horrible. So far we haven't had as many crippling injuries under Franchione. Under DuBose nobody would step up but under Coach Fran they seem to rise to the occasion. Actually it should be around 2005 when the sanctions reach their zenith. We have a pretty good walk on program going so that will help some. We may not put the best athletes on the field but we may put the best TEAM on the field. Look at Tennessee, they have a team full of 5 star recruits but they are not a team. Something I admire about Fran and Nick is they both seem to teach teamwork and not one star showcase. You have to give kudos to Coach Fran for the job he has done recruiting. We have actually been under recruiting sanctions for 4 classes. Ever since the Memphis stuff came out it has been used against us. We have lost quite a few recruits that didn't want to play where there were sanctions being handed out or there was uncertainty.

Back in my DuBose days I put together a Crow Cookbook. We got so used to eating crow it became as common as hamburger at our house. I still have a few copies left for anyone that needs one. In the back is a coupon for the purchase of either frozen or range fed crow. lol