How good was "the diesel"?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ASD, Jun 23, 2011.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I think Xavier Carter was a bust. Yeah, I know track is/was where his heart was at, but coming out of HS, he was supposed to be the next all everything WR, but never lived up to that potential.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Chris Pettaway was the biggest bust out of high school,back in the 80's. He was a 5-star, Parade All American offensive lineman out of Florida. A man among boys in high school. He stayed four years at LSU and never even lettered. He was big and strong but he was a teddy bear and just couldn't summon up the intensity to play at the college level.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Man, I remember watching him in high school. To hell with Marcus Dupree, Cecil Collins was the best that never was.

4. OldTigerFan

OldTigerFan Freshman

been watching since 65 and Collins is the best running back I've ever seen live...it is really aggravating that he threw his God-given talents away and deprived the rest of us from the joy of watching him run.

5. Meathead

Meathead Founding Member

I was at the Miss St breakout game for Collins. I was in the upper deck & I remember vividly the 60 yard shoeless run. Cecil had more raw talent than anyone who has ever lined up in the LSU backfield, but he didn't have the head to go with it.

6. ASD

ASD ASD

I completely agree. The guy was special. The best I have ever seen.....besides Barry. But Collins was as good as anyone

7. Jester

Jester Founding Member

I've made comments on here before about Cecil Collins and I will simply restate what I've previously said. I played against him twice in high school. I also played against other guys who had the NCAA/NFL in their future: Anthony Thomas, Craig Nall, Tony Taylor, Chad Lavalais and others and, talent-wise, I never saw anyone who could compare to him.

His body control was exceptional. He was elusive and so damn fast, but he had so much control to his movement. He had deceptive speed in that it never looked like he was straining to move as quickly as he did, and he never looked out of control, and he was also extremely strong for his size. He would hit the hole so freaking fast and was making his first cut before the defense even knew what hit them. As a LB or Safety, if you lined up on him, he could juke you out of your shoes, but if he felt like it, he would just make a quick move to get you off balance and then he would just steamroll your ass. He was strong, had great vision and instincts that you almost never see anywhere but the NFL.

Overall, I would say he was THE most natural and likely, the best football player that I have ever come across in person. We'll never know, but I feel like he could have set records and been a superstar at LSU and in the pros. I was devastated when I heard about all of the trouble that he had gotten into simply because no one would ever get a chance to see how far he could have gone and how much he could have accomplished.

8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Where did you go to High School because I know Tony Taylor, he went to Pineville.

9. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

Is Cecil still locked up? Guessing he's only about 32 now and I wonder how much he's matured. I'd think he'd still have enough in his diesel tank to make a CFL team or something.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

No team would take him after the second incident. Not many jobs will either.