How is it that Texas A&M has 4 LB recruits and we have 1

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by Jester, Jan 15, 2011.

1. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

But weren't LB's such as Mayo and Rico McCoy average LB recruits that under Chavis' watch became marquee players?

Take Sheppard for instance. A 3* recruit coming out of high school and had arguably the best 2-year stretch, in terms of production and awareness, as any LSU LB in recent years.

The mark of a good coach isn't always the quantity of guys at the position in which you coach, but the quality in production they get under that coach.

Having said that, yeah, it would be nice to see a few more LB commitments forthcoming. But I've heard good reports on the skill sets of young guys like Macklin, Tahj Jones and Lamin Barrow.

Also, what we lack in terms of numbers wise at the LB position, we seem to always get in terms of safeties. I point that out because like Harry Coleman and Francois, Chavis has always liked to utilize that "tweener"/"hybrid" LB. So, in a way, I think we're getting certain guys that Chavis likes to develope. It's just a process that doesn't always show up right away.

2. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Mayo and McCoy were both 4-star recruits.

Something that Louisiana has an abundance of is safeties. You have to remember that Chavis likes to take a guy whose a big safety and turn him into a WLB (. Lamin Barrow, Kevin Minter (4-star, #4 MLB), Tahj Jones (3-star), DJ Welter (3-star), Luke Muncie (3-star) and Justin Maclin (4-star, #20 OLB, shifted to DE after Sam Montgomery's injury) are all solid recruits. All of the 3-stars arrived a little on the skinny side, but have big frames that will hold a good bit of weight and all are fast. Their size is most likely their biggest detriment to higher rankings. Lamin Barrow has impressed early, starting for Ryan Baker vs UNC and having a great game as a true freshman.

I know we lose Shepard, but with guys like Minter and Ryan Baker stepping into starting roles we have two hitters at LBer the likes of which we have not seen in Purple and Gold since Michael Brooks. Anyone but Shepard and Minter would have been starting this year.

Let's not forget the best LBer that Chavis said he coached as a three star and was ranked lower than his HS teammate who also signed with LSU.

3. kluke

kluke Founding Member

For Numbers
    The roster on LSUsportsnet shows 13 LBs, 1Sr, 2Jr, 1 So, and 9Fr - 6 are red shirts.

Only time will tell quality.

Nick RiceLB1-Jun219Fr.RSCoppell, Texas (Coppell HS)Kelvin SheppardLB3-Jun240Sr.3LStone Mountain, Ga. (Stephenson HS)Ryan BakerLBJun-00227Jr.2LGrand Ridge, Fla. (Blountstown HS)Stefoin FrancoisLB1-Jun215Jr.1LReserve, La. (East St. John HS)D.J. WelterLBJun-00226Fr.HSCrowley, La. (Notre Dame HS)Josh JohnsLB2-Jun206Fr.RSBaton Rouge, La. (Central HS)Kevin MinterLB1-Jun225Fr.RSSuwanee, Ga. (Peachtree Ridge HS)Jarrett HardnettLB2-Jun230So.TRBaton Rouge, La. (Woodlawn HS/Northwestern St.)Luke MuncieLB3-Jun223Fr.HSKlein, Texas (Oak HS)Paul FelioLBJun-00212Sr.SQLeague City, Texas (Clear Creek HS)Justin MaclinLB4-Jun230Fr.HSMemphis, Tenn. (Ridgeway HS)Seth FrugeLB11-May200Fr.RSWelsh, La. (Notre Dame HS)Lamin BarrowLB2-Jun221Fr.RSMarrero, La. (John Ehret HS)Tahj JonesLB2-Jun205Fr.RSSulphur, La. (Sulphur HS)

4. kluke

kluke Founding Member

Tried to paste them as a table. User error.

5. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

This will definately be a big need for us next year. LSU has not recruited a top linebacker since Bradie James a decade ago. In part this is because there has not been a lot of top linebackers in our traditional recruiting area. But with 9 linebackers to cover 3 linebacking positions, not including the one we just recruited, and with only one of those being a senior, LSU is not looking too bad on paper. However, the two outside linebacking positions are only two deep. I believe Rockey Duplantis and Josh Johns have been moved from safety and defensive back respectively to shore up these positions. But you are right; we definately need to recruit a few top linebackers in the 2012 class.

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

That's my main concern for the future. We definitely need to get back into Texas. We used to dominate Houston, and to be honest I think we definitely need to get into the Dallas Fort Worth Area.

7. Jester

Jester Founding Member

It just seems odd to me that LB's just kinda overlook LSU, almost as if, when they come up with their choices, we're kinda just an afterthought.

I mean, USC just got a commitment yesterday from a 4 star LB from New Jersey. I know its USC, but why can't we do that. We pull quite a few guys from TX, and we can get players like Spencer Ware from Ohio, Patrick Peterson and Laron Landry from FL, Sam Montgomery from NC, and Ego Ferguson from NY............We all comment on how LA has historically been lacking when it comes to quality LB's, but there's no reason why we shouldn't be able to pull nationally ranked LB's from across the entire country. TX, FL, AL, and GA especially, but really anywhere. Our defense and our defensive coordinator have a great reputation and a history of putting guys in the NFL. So, what gives? Why in the hell would some of these top 4-star and 3-star LBs travel across the country to go to places like Arizona, Rutgers, Wake Forest, Louisville, Washington, Virginia, etc. instead of LSU?

I guess we can just hope that it continues to improve.

8. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Truer words have never been spoken.