How long ago did this guy coach at LSU?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Deceks7, May 15, 2006.

1. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

I find it interesting to see where former staff members end up later in their careers. How long ago did this guy coach at LSU and what was his position?

http://www.reflector.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2006/05/10/20060510GDRJT_gets_hired.html

Thompson becomes UCA's AD

The Daily Reflector

Wednesday, May 10, 2006
    CONWAY, Ark. – Former East Carolina football coach John Thompson was introduced as athletic director at the University of Central Arkansas at a press conference Wednesday morning in the university's board of trustees' meeting room.
    Thompson was fired at ECU after the Pirates went a combined 3-20 during the 2003 and 2004 seasons.
    An Arkansas native and alumnus of UCA, Thompson succeeds Vance Strange, who resigned the position last week. Former University of Florida coaching colleague Steve Spurrier announced eariler this year that Thompson would not return to his staff at South Carolina next season, where he spent 2005 as a co-defensive coordinator.
    "We have found the right individual in John Thompson," said university president Lu Hardin, who introduced Thompson to the media and a large contingent of UCA supporters. "I'm confident John can get the job done and continue the vision Vance Strange developed. I am very pleased to welcome him back to the UCA family."
    Thompson was let go shortly after the arrival of athletic director Terry Holand at ECU and was replaced by Skip Holtz, who helped the Pirates to a 5-6 season in 2005.
    As part of his settlement, Thompson will be paid $100,000 each year until Jan. 1, 2008.
    "I look forward to becoming athletic director at one of the great universities in the nation," Thompson said. "It will be a privilege to work under Lu Hardin's aggressive leadership. For a university to go from 8,500 students to 12,000 students in four years is extraordinary. Together we have an unlimited future."
    During his 24-year coaching career, Thompson was recognized as a top defensive mind and had experience at five Southeastern Conference schools – Florida, Alabama, Arkansas, LSU and South Carolina.
    Thompson coached a total of three first-team All-Conference USA players and had seven players chosen to the Freshman All-Conference team. One of Thompson's junior college signees from 2004, safety Zach Baker, recently inked a free agent contract with the NFL's Pittsburgh Steelers.

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I don't think he actually coached at LSU, he was hired by Saban and left before the season started to go to Arkansas or somewhere like that.

3. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

in 2000 for about 3 weeks...

never coached in a game for LSU. He left for Arkansas.......

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

His football experience at LSU amounted to nothing. One month in the off season, he never even got himself moved to Baton Rouge before he bolted for Arkansas. They say that once Thompson found out that Nick ran the defense at LSU and that he would not be able to implement his own defense, he backed out quick.

if he is listing LSU on his resume as experience, then he is lying to pump up his rep.

5. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

When I first saw this I thought he was a fomer DC for LSU but couldn't place him.

http://www.footballscoop.com/scoop.htm

Central Arkansas: Athletic Director @ University of Central Arkansas abruptly resigned last week. Effective immediately. No reason was given to why. John Thompson, former DC @ Southern Miss., Memphis, Florida, Arkansas, LSU and former HC @ ECU has been named AD

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i love this line "I look forward to becoming athletic director at one of the great universities in the nation,"

can he really think anyone is buying that?