How long does Smoke get??

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Geaux5000, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Founding Member

Exactly, well put. I refuse to comment on coaching and the state of LSU baseball until the end of the season. Ole Piss the last three years have started in a blaze of fire and fizzled each of the last three years. Arkansas looks good but can they sustain it? Some posted LSU is not the class of the SEC anymore. I disagree completely. Until one other team steps up year after year other than LSU (can you name one, maybe South Carolina), LSU is still the class of the SEC. You can't draw conclusions halfway through a SEC baseball season. Like you said, LSU has lost only one 3 game series all season long.

2. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Year 1 - Super Regional
    Year 2 - Omaha
    Year 3 - ain't over yet

And we are talking about firing the guy? LOL

Meanwhile we have a pathetic basketball program with a coach going on 8 years ... too funny!

3. lsucurlyq

lsucurlyq Founding Member

I agree...why don't yall lay off Smoke? Honestly, if we had half of the other coaches in the country I would be crying as well. We were very spoiled with Skip Bertman, and not every team is perfect.
    You have a good point, TigerWins. We've had some big accomplishments under Smoke. Contrary to popular belief, not every year can be a national championship...
    :lsug: :lsup: :tigbas: :lsup: :lsug:

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

It's amazing how good Smoke coaches when Bumstead and Dirks threw well, and when the team didn't committ a bunch of errors. And let's see, was that a comeback on Saturday. and di a Tiger player say the teams was up so high that all of them were hoarse after the game on Saturday. Maybe Smoke reads this forum and listens to his detractors, doubt it. Maybe, just maybe he's a darn good coach. Let's wait and see what happens before crucifying him.

5. LSUHotdog

LSUHotdog Founding Member

Actually my problem isn't with SMoke, it's with Wiederhold. Canaveri was awesome, and could call pitches. Brady is a joke, and is scared to use offspeed pitches. My evidence is why Bo Pettit even started the S Carolina game in Omaha, and then put in Sadler to hang over the plate so they could come back in win. It also expalins our pitching inconsistincies. Remember what the starting rotation was at the beginning of the year?

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

What got the Tigers going was Tenn. left fielder Eli Iorg's crack after Friday's game that "we're going to make LSU pay for what Ole Miss did to us last week". Nice going Eli. You woke a sleeping giant and we appreciate the hell out of it.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/042604/spo_tigers001.shtml

7. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

*bump*

Just because....

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

yep we never throw offspeed pitches. we have a power staff. Lane's heat was unhittable at 82.

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Smoke: Whaddya think Brade? Leave in Bo or bring in Sadler?
    Brady W: Well..they're having an awfully tough time getting a good swing on Bo. Maybe we oughtta bring in Billy and let em have a crack at winning this thing.
    Smoke: I don't know Brade, the fans will get pretty pissed if we lose this thing.
    Brady W: Shoot Smoke. Why do you ask my opinion if you don't want to take my advice?
    Smoke: All right, all right, calm down...BILLY...get in there and hang one so we can get the hell outta here.

"'tis better to remain silent and have people think you're a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - Anon.

10. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Good thread. I'm glad you bumped it up.

Minimum of fratricide and some decent analysis.