How long does Smoke get??

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Geaux5000, Apr 23, 2004.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

I'm not a 'genious', I'm a genius....get it right.

And my point on power pitching was sarcasm....you just didn't get it. thanks for the laugh.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Leave my mother out of this.

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Wiederhold may eb the pitching coach and he may call the pitches, but I am totaly sure that Smoke can override any pitch call. And I am also sure that Smoke has the final say on who is going to pitch and when, any manager that has his arse on the line better be the one making those decisions. And it's really easy to look in hindsight a year later a t pitching move that didn't work out. When a coach or manager doesn't have a 97% automatic guy like a Rivera or Gagne in their bullpen it's they are to going to make the wrong decision over the course of their career the exact same amount of time as the guys hold or save percentages are, it's just the way it is. Having a great closer or situational bullpen guys makes many a manger look like a genius. Rivera has made torre look like the smartest guy in the wrold for years. In actuality he does his best work with the setup guys IMO.

4. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

Whoever complimented Dan Canevari on calling pitches just proved beyond a shadow of a doubt they know NOTHING about LSU Baseball...

Cano called the pitches for the Tigers for ONE SEASON while he was here...and that was 2002...

Skip called every pitch of every at bat of every inning of every game of every series of every year of his entire tenure at LSU.

Cano was the defacto bullpen coach...He had without question the easiest job in collegiate baseball though...Because he never called a single pitch...

End Of Story

5. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

LSUHotdog...My previous post was directed at you...

Also...I honestly agree with your asessment of Brady...I think the guy has had to "grow into" the role of an SEC Pitching Coach with the responsibility of calling a game, and setting up hitters.

Having said that, no one, and I mean, not even Bob Brodhead, knew that Skip would do what he did...At some point, when you hire the best and brightest, you have to hire the youngest, best, and brightest. Skip was ready, but was never anything more than an assistant up to that point.

Who knew he'd do what he'd do? NOBODY!

No one knows how Wiederhold will develop, but one game does not a coach make...Ease up on the criticism...and rethink your whole opinion of Dan Cano Canevari...The guy did exactly zip in the way of calling pitches during "The Decade of Decadence"...

6. LSUHotdog

LSUHotdog Founding Member

I'll take your word for it about Cano's coaching role, although I was pretty sure he was calling pitches towards the end of Skip's era. I guarantee that at least Canaveri was very involved in the pitching game plan as Skip relied on his knowledge of the pitchers. Anyways, I agree about Brady needing more time to become an SEC pitching coach, but I was just referring to one game as an example.
    The point, as stated before, was that Brady should bear responsibility for pitching criticism's, not just Smoke. I am not sure why people have a problem with that.

Bishop Podnuh, why don't you not speak for us and those that have a problem will certainly tell me.

LSUSF, I'll take the monthly pain over the cramps you display here everyday.

Sorry SF, I wasn't thinking of your mother. I'll just leave it at viscous then, ok?

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

For just a second I thought you were defending John Brady.

:confused: :shock:

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

me too thats funny as hell.

9. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Family in Breaux Bridge

If you have family in BB going way back, then we probably have relatives who know each other. BB was a pretty small community back in the 1920s when my Maw-Maw was growing up.

10. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

Thank you for annointing me as the Bishop of TigerForums. And may God bless you during these tumultuous times in your life and through these daily trials you are experiencing here on TigerForums. Please continue to direct any and all complaints to Archbishop Brett regarding members of this congregation.

Please forgive Brothers SabanFan, LSUSF, Bengal B, TE, and all others who have committed sins against you in the House of TigerForums. Brothers, you must all say 3 Our Father's and 5 Hail Mary's and your sins against LSUHotDog shall be forgiven.

Now, go forth in peace my Tigers. :lsug: