How many early entries?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSU Engineer, Nov 29, 2014.

1. LSU Engineer

LSU Engineer Unnamed Source

What is the over/under on early entries to the NFL?

Based on the past even with mediocre play my guess is all these guys go pro. It seems like gone are the days of any LSU players hanging around. LSU seems to have the most defections

Travin Dural
    Kwon Alexander
    Vadal Alexander
    Danielle Hunter
    Jerald Hawkins
    Jalen Collins
    Jalen Mills

Next year with the loss of almost the entire secondary the D will probably take a step back in performance. If the offense doesn't improve (which is likely with the loss 4 of 5 starters) 4th in the division will be where LSU is picked.

Miles gets to use the young excuse again. Awesome.

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

That's a hard one to predict, but I'm guessing not all of those go. There are some changes in the information that the NFL is going to give players/teams that will make it an even bigger gamble for borderline players. The last couple years there have been quite a few early entries that have had unpleasant surprises on draft day.

LSUDad likes this.
  3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Starting this year the NFL will only offer to evaluate 5 players per team as to their possible draft status. In the past they would evaluate anybody who asked. I heard Kevin Mawae on the radio yesterday talking about how many of the players in his draft class were gone from the NFL even after a year or two. Not only free agents and low draft picks but lots of first and second rounders. The average NFL lifespan of a quarterback is 5.1 years, OL 5.0 and it only goes down after that. About 3.3 for a running back. A lot of these guys declare even if they know they will be low picks in order to start the clock on getting their second, more lucrative contract but most of them never get a second contract.

P&G_wheelz007 and LSUDad like this.
  4. LSU Engineer

My guess is that rule will not change anything. These guys minds are to get to the NFL as fast as possible. No way the guys who didn't end up getting drafted were told they were late round at best and still left.

LSUDad likes this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If they are in a situation where they have to support their family most of them will go despite whether they get drafted or not. They will all think they can be like Anthony Freak Johnson and make a roster as an undrafted free agent. Almost none of them will. They should get their degree if at all possible. Even guys who get the rookie minimum of about $400,000 a year will be broke pretty soon if they don't stay in the NFL for more than a season or two. I could see it if they would say "I'll save this money and if I get cut I'll have enough to start a business." but instead they will first buy a fancy car, a house for their mother that they won't be able to pay the note on if they aren't in the league anymore, and the rest goes to their homies and hangers on. A lot of these guys don't even think about the fact that their agent gets 3% and that they will have to pay taxes on it. Its a little known fact that players have to pay the portion of taxes to the states where they play road games as well as the state they live in as well as New York City also imposes an income tax. Play for the Dolphins? Great! Florida has no state income tax. But for that road game against the Jets: extra taxes to pay.

shane0911 and LSUDad like this.
  6. TBTrumpet

TBTrumpet Founding Member

So, if everyone who can is leaving.... how comes this only happens at LSU and not other schools (like bama)....?

7. LSU Engineer

Who knows? I am sure some will believe that the offensive guys leave because of the coaching or lack thereof. Not sure on the defensive guys probably just overconfidence and the fact that they don't have to go to class any longer. The student-athlete thing is a thing of the past: Can't explain why LSU has the most defections.

8. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Each year the numbers have gone up with the players leaving early. Schools and coaches try to educate kids, but as always, the kids think they know more. Get an education first, then move on from there. But this is hard for kids to understand.
    Of the list:
    Travin Dural
    Kwon Alexander
    Vadal Alexander
    Danielle Hunter
    Jerald Hawkins
    Jalen Collins
    Jalen Mills

The two Jalen's have a good shot to get drafted. Vadal and Danielle also. Dural is another. As with any position, they have to see who else at their position with be in this draft class. DB's at times are a plus. At times, you get a run on a position, say WR's, DT's, OT, etc.

Some thought Trai Turner was not gonna get drafted, did well and has been a starter in the NFL.

Hawk, word is family needs the money, but don't know for sure. Hawk could stay a year move to LOT and with a little more work, get into the first round.

Kwon, good player, needs another year. Upper body work would help him, but he has at times been hit by the injury bug. Stay a year, get injured? Lots to weigh.

Of the Sr's. La'el should make the 1st round. Has played the position well this year, much better than last year. Will start as an OG in the Pro's, how he does after that, who knows.
    More detail later.

9. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Might want to check that.

10. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Bama has it's share of early defections too. One thing that helps recruiting but probably hurts with early departure is so many players getting playing time as true freshmen.

ParadiseiNC and LSUDad like this.