How Many National Championships?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by luvdimtigers, Apr 15, 2008.

1. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Hawkeye guy, I'd like to apologize to you for LSU football's undefeated season in 1958. That was the last time an LSU football team finished the season undefeated. I'm sorry that the Iowa college football team had a loss and a tie in 1958. I'm also sorry that the Iowa college football team hasn't finished a season undefeated since 1922. I'm also sorry about your 6-6 season last year, and your 6-7 season the year before that. But hold your head high!!! Although Iowa doesn't have a college football team worth bragging about, at least Iowa is the birthplace of John Wayne!!!

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's the birthplace of Marion Robert Morrison. John Wayne was born in Hollywood! :grin:

3. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Ah, Marion Robert Morrison was John Wayne's real name. I had to google that one. I thought you were talking about some other person from Iowa. Another cool thing about Iowa is that it is the birthplace of a US President (Republican), the 31st President of the US (was he the guy accused of being into wearing panties, or was that someone other President?). Louisiana has yet to turn out a US President, although we did turn out the 9th Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court.

Also, Louisiana became a U.S. state in 1812, and we are #22 in the US when it comes to population. Iowa didn't become a U.S. state until 1846, and they are 30th in the US when it comes to population.

But, my friends from Iowa are good people, and my Louisiana friends who have been to Iowa say its a cool place. I'd rather Iowa have a good college football team than, say, the pretty boys in Southern Cali. It's a shame Iowa can't step up like Nebraska did during its past when it comes to college football.

4. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

I am chastisted!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

5. Tide_Man

Tide_Man Freshman

And what Bama's Championships arent real? Just because they didnt happen in the past 10 years doesnt mean they didnt happen. When you have history you claim and hold on to it. And if I remember correctly, we could claim around 16-17.

1 person likes this.
  6. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

:lol:

7. luvdimtigers

luvdimtigers Founding Member

Most legitimate sources recognize 6 NC's for Bama. I find it funny that gumps who poo-poo LSU's NC this year because of two loses readily claim 1941 as one their "got 12" even though they were 9-2.

8. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Personally, I find all of this squarely in the "so what" category.

Princeton and Yale used to be football powerhouses. So what?

Bama has sucked of late. LSU sucked in large parts of the 90s. Miami went from awesome to sucking. Nebraska - not good lately. Anyone see that Notre Dame team last year?

LSU defends the crystal. To me, everything else is interesting, but irrelevant.

1 person likes this.
  9. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

We aint' just defending the crystal Coaches trophy but the AP trophy as well. It's the first time we've done this since 1958.

I like the Yale and Princeton reference. According to wiki:

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_D...p#Most_Coaches.27_Poll_National_Championships

Also, it points out that:

1) only 8 teams have more AP national titles than LSU (only 1 SEC team beats us -- Alabama with 6).

2) only 6 teams have more Coaches national titles than LSU (only 1 SEC team beats us -- Alabama with 5).

10. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

John, did you forget to take your dam medicine again?