How many touches do you wanna see Shepard have vs Bama?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Nov 1, 2009.

1. DRC

DRC TigerNator

All three of those guys were more physically developed coming out of high school. Especially Walker and Jackson. Both of them were freaks and could run over linebackers like they were DB's. You can also add Emmitt Smith to the list.

2. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

I agree Shepard isnt nearly physically ready for a lot of touches. Fact is though he needs more than the touches he gets. We also must diversify the touches. Most of his plays arent for much or any yards anymore outside of the recent TD busts because everyone knows whats coming. Id like to see him in at WR a bit more. As well as a split backfield with Scott. He is a big play waiting to happen, his talent dictates he should get touches. You play the best guys regardless of classification.

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

This is my biggest worry. Cody is going to take T-bob to the woodshed. JJ had best learn to get rid of it quickly or it will not end well on Sat.

4. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Cody's a run stopper more than a pass rusher. I would be more worried about their blitz off the edges. Arena's is deadly from there.

5. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

KW averaged 10 yards/carry vs Tulane. Why didn't he get all the touches?? Simple answer is, it aint that simple. Players are used according to ability, situation, and field position. We all would like to see more home runs(Shepard to the house), but multipying his carries doesn't mean we will. It might, or might not. I have seen Shepard get blown up and pile driven more than I have seen him score. I would imaigine that plays a bit into it also.

That is a valid hypothesis Jay, exept I tend to think his motivations differ. There are plenty of examples of younger players getting chosen over an older player, when the younger guy proves he is better. Peterson ring a bell? How about Ciron Black starting since he was a freshman? Do I really need to go year by year and list all the freshmen that contribute significantly?? The idea that Miles does not play young guys is simply false. He just doesn't always play fan favorites and everyone assumes it shows some flaw on his part. Maybe he sees a bit more than we do?

People complained in '07 about Hester the entire year. When Flynn was in, it was calls for RP. Last year with our LBs, it was calls for Baker. Everyone just knew that Murphy was the man last year. This year it is calls for Randle(who plays in every game by the way). Everyone just knows that Scott is a waste of touches this year. :insane: There are even calls for Ford, which is patently ridiculous, and it has been well documented by writers that he has had great difficulty adjusting to the size/speed of this level. He will adjust, but has not yet, and we clearly have better options at RB right now. Does that stop some "fans" for saying Miles has blown it by not playing him? Nope.

There are simply people that will always "see" the grass as greener with the next "big player".

I think that guys making millions of dollars, with a SECC and a NC under their belt are vastly more qualified to assess this as opposed to any fan. Especially since we do not see these guys practice. Most fans just fuel their jets on hype and wishes.

It makes a poor argument in my book, and when I see it I will point it out.

1 person likes this.
  6. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Heck, their entire defense is my biggest worry. If the game has not slowed down for JJ yet, it is unlikely to this week. I don't look for bama's defense to make many mistakes. We may need our own defense to keep generating points.

7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Exactly what I just wrote to a friend of mine in an email. Said our D may have to put up a few TD's because they are going to be all over JJ all game long.

I really hope I'm wrong but until they prove me wrong I have to call it like I see it.

8. ok awesome

ok awesome geaux

I think RS should play cornerback opposite Peterson this game that way we have a better chance of taking all of those picks we get from McElroy back for 6. Do you guys think he knows the defensive playbook well enough?

1 person likes this.