How much do we tip our plays on offense?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Sep 27, 2010.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I was discussing the QB situation with Mastermind via PMs and came across this disturbing revelation.

Does JJ ever get under center on passing plays? Or is it strictly in the shotgun?

I don't know if it's just me, but I can't even vision in my mind JJ taking a 5 step drop and then throwing the ball. I can only envision him in a shotgun when he has attemped a pass.

Is it that apparent that we tip our plays?

Supposedly a WVU player even admitted they knew exactly what play we were running and that JJ and our linemen were tipping it off pre-snap.

1 person likes this.
  2. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

We've been bad about this for years now. We only run 1-2 plays per substitution package so after 2-3 games of film you can spot the whole playbook.

For instance, anytime in 07 that Charles Scott was the lone back in the shotgun, we would run a middle screen. Anytime in 08-09 that Scott and Williams would be in the I together, we'd fake the FB dive and pitch it wide.

It is really easy to predict LSU's plays pre-snap. Also, anytime the QB is under center and audibles to a run play it's very obvious (touches hand on hip to corresponding side).

You don't even have to try very hard to guess what we're doing based on how we are lined up. Another reason Crowton must go.

3. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I have seen a bunch of 3 step drops this season. Not sure on the 5 step drops.

4. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

The coaching staff realizes this, right? :huh:

:geauxtige

1 person likes this.
  5. islstl

Well 3, 5, 7 step drops. All of them basically.

6. islstl

I honestly don't know.

7. dudley

dudley oops!

I don't know for sure but I suspect we are tipping our plays along with a lot of other problems on offense. I know how to start correcting these problems though. 7 am Monday morning.

8. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

We really do not need to, we run so few.

9. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

I'll simplify this, a DC I know puts it this way. You see all the cards (Play cards that is), you know the ones the Head Coach has during a game. They have tons of plays that they can use, down and distance will dictate. Like I said, this comes from a DC. What this DC does is get a GA to find the 10 most passing and running plays that a team runs. Most OC's script their first 20 or so plays, doesn't care if they are up by 20 or down by 20. During the game, the OC will go back to those 10 passing and 10 running plays, its his comfort zone. Think about the time needed to call the next play during a game, he'll go back to those plays. He will throw one of those out there when hes looking for something to call.

Back in the days of Hilliard and James a reporter asked Coach Arnsparger, "When you go in split backs you pass and when you go in the I, you run." Arns reply, "No one has stopped us yet!" Coach Z was tipping the plays. Kind of like when Hester was getting the ball, or the pass was going to Wendell Davis, everyone knew, but they couldn't stop it.

The next time Terrance Toliver drops a pass, sit him. He'll go up an get the ball next time hes on the field. You have players on that team that will do this. Players need to be pushed. Some as in a Stevan Ridley are self motivating. He worked on the problems with the fumbles.

1 person likes this.
  10. Ahab the Arab

Ahab the Arab Veteran Member

Well one thing we know, if it is second down and long Crowton will run some sort of running play 90 percent of the time.