How much do we tip our plays on offense?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Sep 27, 2010.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

On the radio, Doug Moreau commented at one point that West Virginia seemed to know exactly what the Tigers were doing.

It's standard procedure to hire some expert to scout your own video for tendencies. Les needs to fire that guy if we are being read that easily.

On the other hand, having dumbed down the passing game for Jefferson, LSU has little choice but to just line up and run the ball when everybody in the stadium knows it is coming.

And if a passer emerges, I'm sure there is a lot of the offense that is still waiting for an opportunity to use it and our opponents have no film of it. They have practically nothing at all on Lee.

2. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

OK, so should we:

1. Be absolutely wide open with our play selection giving absolutely NO hint to the defense what is coming. Running any play from any formation. Keeping the defense on their toes and then on their heels. Getting our skill players the ball in space and spreading the field. This is a very common approach when you don't have talent equal to or greater than the opposition.

2. Line up in certain formations with certain personnel and run pretty much the same plays and then after the defense starts to commit... hit them with a wrinkle and take it to the house. You have to have talent that matches up with the other teams and the ability to make your chances count.

LSU fans complain that we are too predictable. LSU fans complain that we don't have an identity. I think that LSU fans just like to complain.

I think that we don't have an offensive identity because Crowton and Miles don't want us to have one. They want it all. They want to alternate between smash mouth and spread it out every other play. They think that because we have the talent, we should be able to. They want to utilize all of our talents and not pigeon hole our players into one offense. And if they didn't use this approach, the fans would complain that they weren't using all of our talent... :) That means runs up the gut for big bruisers and end arounds for speedy guys. That gets all of our talent involved and keeps the recruits coming.

That also means being a bit predictable at times on purpose (like I-formation and option plays) that don't always make big yards in order to break a big one later or make the other plays more effective. We did score a few TDs on long passes out of the I-formation last year (I will go all LSU-SIU on you and tell you to look at my old posts from last year for examples) that only happened because we got "predictable" and then sucker punched them. Miles has said that without the option plays, the strong runs up the middle by Ridley may not be working so well...

Right now we are at a point where the whole thing is breaking down due to mistakes by players (penalties and missed blocks) and maybe a lack of talent at the QB spot. Stuff happens. Not everything is going to be perfect every year. When the moon and stars align and everything is clicking, this coaching staff and players can put out a fine product on the field. It just hasn't happened in a while and we are getting restless.

I don't want to come off sounding like a jerk when I say that most of the people here are just reactive to the situation and don't take a long term approach. LSU is a competitive team. We are competing for the NC. We may not win it (likely not), but we will be "in" every game and if the Offense gets hot... watch out! JJ has NOT played this badly in the past too often. If he can get back to playing decent ball, we can shock some people. He may need some time on the bench, but I think that he is still the answer.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

You used to defend the kid. You've turned on him pretty harshly. Any chance that could happen with Barry?:wink:

4. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

Maybe they are tipping them on purpose.

5. Louisiananimal

Louisiananimal Wesley Austin

I think Peterson would say different... Someone is letting these guys have it its just not always shown on the main shot of espn