How much does a disappointing season affect recruiting?

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TigerBacker70, Nov 20, 2014.

1. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

When a team underperforms like our Tigers have this season, to what degree does it affect next season's recruiting? I'm asking seriously for the people who actually know about such things in depth.

2. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

It doesn't unless it becomes a standard and as disappointed as we are, a season like this is not a standard. To a recruit, what they see is opportunity. The guys out there now are not much further along than they are so they see an opportunity to come in with something close to even footing. Add to the fact that Les is no longer burdened by the idea that he won't play freshmen. He's only redshirting 5 or 6 guys this year. With the exodus of 3-year players every year at LSU, freshmen have to be ready to play. That youth infusion every year is going to making winning championships very hard but that pipeline to the NFL will stay wide open.

LSUDad and mctiger like this.
  3. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

I would think a bad season at a great school would be a gold mine.

Instead of pitching "You will compete with 3 five stars, an All American and a junior Heisman candidate." You can say, "We need your azz and you will start if you can beat out the guy that average 2.4 yards per carry and I would not be in Podunk, Tx, if I was not sure your could."

Seems like a no brainer, and we specialize in those!

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Top recruits don't want to go to a school that never wins. But a school that wins 80%, is a perennial top-10 team, has a famous coach, famous football tradition, has 8 wins in bad years, and goes to a national championship game every 5 years gets a lot of attention. Especially when steady turnover offers early shots at playing time at a place where coaches send a lot of players to the NFL, often early.

LSUDad likes this.
  5. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

So what does that make this year?

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

An 8-win recruiting year. Wait for it.

7. COTiger

Keep pumping Sunshine. IconLOL.gif

8. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Why don't you wait till signing day sport???? Right now we have a higher ranked class than last year and we finished #2. There are several highly ranked recruits who are leaning to LSU.
    You have no clue as to what is driving recruits other than a sophomoric idea of someone who never sniffed a scholarship though may have sniffed a jock or two.

LSUDad likes this.
  9. COTiger

I'm not into recruiting slick.
    And keep the insults coming. You might bruise my fragile ego in a couple of years.

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

what a fucking douche.