How much does a disappointing season affect recruiting?

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TigerBacker70, Nov 20, 2014.

1. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Well, why do we keep recruiting top rated "dual threat" QBs rather than a heady, and steady, pro-style QB? They keep trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

LSUDad and COTiger like this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The recruit dual threat QBs because almost all of the high schools play some version of the spread and there just aren't many drop back QBs available. That still doesn't explain why Les stubbornly tries to fit the dual threat guys into a drop back mold.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

4. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Its better than most I've seen from high school students. With the use of the phones, this is far from the worst. U, 2, etc being used as words, teachers are having problems with the spelling of simple words.

5. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Where did the following QB's come from? Rohan Davey, Matt Mauck, Matt Flynn, Mett, etc. Outside the state of La. LSU has to recruit outside the state. Many in the state are taking the best player and not using them at the QB position. Look at the number of good WR's, DB's, etc in the state right now. Like I said before Bobby Hebert was a very good DB, if not for an injury, he might never had played the QB position. Look at the LSU baseball team, a couple years back, we had 8 former high school QB's on the roster, Mikie Mahtook was his high schools QB. Back to football, so was Spencer Ware, Magee, Joe Addai, Corey Webster, Kendell Beckwith etc. This is getting to be a problem at the high school level, an into the college, check-with-me, is having the staff do most of the thinking for these QB's, Pro teams are having a hard time finding kids to transition into their game. Less and less kids are really learning the position, most have one player to throw to, then its, feet, do your stuff.

red55 likes this.
  6. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

At one time, Jerry Tillery was one LSU had no chance to get, Grimes has done wonders in the recruiting. This is another spot that Grimes is very good at. He was hired for just not his coaching, but recruiting. Whenever I bring his name up, everyone seems to have high praise for him.

I did get to talk with a coach that worked with him when he first got into being a GA at A&M. He told me . Grimes would do very well at LSU. Twelve of Jeff's former players went on to play in the NFL. Since 1985, LSU has had 12 players drafted into the NFL. Yep, been that long. Also, when he was at Arizona St. four of his 2001 seniors where drafted into the NFL (just the second time that had been done at any school since the NFL adopted the seven-round draft format in 1993).

Right now, LSU's odds are better than 50% to flip Tillery, one thing is for sure, Jeff is trying to get the players he wants at LSU.

Oh, one other thing that caught my eye. After the 2010 season, Grimes was interviewed by Mack Brown to become the new OL coach at the University of Texas where it was reported he would become the highest paid coach at his position in the country. Ultimately, Grimes decided to stay at Auburn.

7. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Wilson is rumored to be in the mix for the Troy job. I suspect he would have to take a pay cut if he got the job. He damn sure couldn't recruit against Bama & AU. Has he been a coordinator?

8. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Ole Miss (RB)
    Southern Miss (RB/RC)
    Tennessee (WR)
    LSU (RB/RC)

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

How good is Shea Patterson?

LSUDad likes this.
  10. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member