How Well Does CLM Develop His Players?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by KyleK, Dec 6, 2014.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

QB play in college has never translated to the NFL. @LSUDad listed some great examples. I think he may have left of good ol Timmy but what's one name. It works the other way as well. Matt Cassell didnt play a down at USC, Ryan Tannehill had everyone scratching their heads because he wasn't shit at atm. He did play for the eventual OC of the Dolphins so I guess that played into it.

As for your Marino reference he only lacked a running game or he may have won multiple super bowls. To use him as an example is ridiculous.

So no, I may have said we don't send many QBs to the league but that is far from the root of the problem. Do I really need to list the freshman qb's that look really good this year?

Why is it that at a perennial power house, Les with all his recruiting prowess can't get it even 60% right at the most important position on the field.

COTiger and TwistedTiger like this.
  2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

So find a few prospects, develop them all and see if one sticks for 4-5 seasons. Hell, practically everyone else in the nation is able to do it. The excuses for not finding a serviceable QB more often than one out of 5 seasons never end. JUST GET A PHUCKING QB ALREADY!

COTiger likes this.
  3. LSU Engineer

LSU Engineer Unnamed Source

An elite QB makes a huge difference. Brees elevated the whole program. The Boilermakers actually made the Rose Bowl with Brees. Since Brees, squadoosh.

LSUDad likes this.
  4. LSU Engineer

LSU Engineer Unnamed Source

The rule in pro football is your QB better be damn good if you want to win a Superbowl. There are exceptions to every rule which Dilfer is definitely an exception to the rule, a statistical anomaly. Man it has been nearly 15 years since that Superbowl.

LSUDad likes this.
  5. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Not really, kids don't want to sit, you have over 30 QB's transfer just last year. Every now and then one will stick. They had a list of the top college QB's in the nation, the top guys were all 2, 3 and 4 star players coming out of high school. The majority being 2 and 3 star players. The trick was keeping them for the 4th and 5th years.

6. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Terrence Magee, Kenny Hilliard hope to add to LSU tradition
    December, 11, 2014
    1:00
    PM ET
    By David Ching | ESPN.com
    [​IMG]AP Photo, Icon SportswireTerrence Magee (18) and Kenny Hilliard (27) hope to turn some heads next month during the East-West Shrine Game.
    BATON ROUGE, La. -- Terrence Magee recently learned that LSU’s bowl appearance would actually not be his final college game.

“It was a few weeks ago,” Magee said of when he learned that he had been invited to participate in the East-West Shrine Game, an all-star game for college seniors. “Coach Frank [Wilson, LSU’s running backs coach] pulled me aside and told me, and then I got the thing in the mail.”

The all-star game – which will be played Jan. 17 in St. Petersburg, Florida – announced at the end of November that Magee and fellow LSU running back Kenny Hilliard had both accepted invitations to participate. In doing so, they will try to add to the remarkable success rate for Tigers tailbacks who attempt to make a living in the NFL.

Since Les Miles took over as coach in 2005, all but one LSU tailback who stayed on the team long enough to become draft eligible – 5-foot-6 Shyrone Carey’s height hurt his cause in the 2006 draft – has spent at least one season on an NFL roster.

More With Les
    A look at LSU tailbacks under coach Les Miles who made NFL rosters:

Year Player Rd. Team
    2006 Joseph Addai 1 IND
    2007 Justin Vincent UFA ATL
    2008 Jacob Hester 3 SD
    2010 Trindon Holliday 6 HOU
    2010 Charles Scott 6 PHI
    2010 Keiland Williams UFA WAS
    2011 Richard Murphy UFA JAC
    2011 Stevan Ridley 3 NE
    2013 Michael Ford UFA CHI
    2013 Spencer Ware 6 SEA
    2014 Alfred Blue 6 HOU
    2014 Jeremy Hill 2 CIN
    The fact that some of them never handled an enormous workload in college, much like Magee and Hilliard, hasn’t seemed to matter.

Alfred Blue’s college career high for rushing was 539 yards in 2011 and yet he has nearly eclipsed that total this season as a rookie with the Houston Texans (457 yards in 13 games, including a 156-yard effort against Cleveland). Keiland Williams’ high was 478 yards in 2007 and he spent multiple seasons in the NFL as an undrafted free agent. And Richard Murphy also bounced around the NFL for more than a year despite never rushing for more than 230 yards (2007) in a season at LSU.

That bodes well for Magee and Hilliard, who have been role players throughout their time at LSU. While neither player seems likely to become an early-round draft pick, they can use their time in the all-star practices and subsequent draft workouts to give themselves a chance to join their fellow Tigers in the pros.

“[I want to] just go out there and show that I’m an every-down back,” Magee said. “Show that I can pass block, catch the ball out of the backfield and run the ball in between the tackles, as well as outside. Basically the same things that I’ve been doing here.”

That versatility will be Magee’s greatest asset as a prospect. Although he was a secondary option behind Jeremy Hill last season and Leonard Fournette this fall, Magee still contributed in a variety of ways. He’s second on the team with 545 rushing yards and third with 16 receptions for 162 yards. He also contributes on multiple special-teams units, which is a huge bonus for a player battling to make a 53-man NFL roster.

Hilliard, meanwhile, is more in the mold of the prototypical NFL power back, and he has plenty of tread left on the tires. His 87 carries in 10 games this season are a career high, and he’ll need to play in LSU’s Music City Bowl matchup against Notre Dame in order to set a new career high for rushing yardage (he has 431 yards, just shy of his 464 yards in 2012).

As of Sunday, Hilliard’s status for the bowl game was still undetermined, after he missed most of the last three games with a shoulder injury suffered on the opening drive of an overtime loss to Alabama.

“I don’t know that he will or won’t [play], but I think the time of the bowl gives us a chance,” Miles said Sunday night.

Regardless of whether he plays against the Fighting Irish, Hilliard has already displayed a skill set that would fit on a pro roster, even if he never became a full-fledged star in college. Same for Magee.

If they do the things that they’ve done at LSU during all-star practices and in the pro workouts that follow, history shows that they have a good shot to make it with an NFL club.

“I’m not going to go there and change anything that I’ve been doing here,” Magee said of his approach to all-star practices. “You know, go out there and show them the same things that I’ve been doing here at LSU.”

7. Kal-El012

Kal-El012 Founding Member

If recruits believed in all the excuses that were thrown out there to hide Leslie's inabilities in handling qbs at lsu, the Tigers would have heisman trophy Qb candidates lined up down Nicholson.

LSUDad likes this.
  8. shane0911

I seem to remember LSU being heavily involved in the Teddy Bridgewater sweepstakes. As I recall he was coming in for a visit and was told "eh, you know what, nevermind" so just who was it that our powers that be thought to be good enough to not have TB come in? I sure as hell don't recall anyone better being here.

9. Kal-El012

Kal-El012 Founding Member

Teddy isn't all that great either better than what we have but give him another season with the Vikings and he'll end up like Gino smith and EJ Manuel.

LSUDad likes this.
  10. shane0911

Again, you are comparing his pro career to what he did in college. LSU has NEVER had a QB look like that. The problem is they could have.