How will LSU take advantage of a porous Auburn pass defense

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Oct 18, 2010.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

With a couple of injuries to their secondary against Arkansas, it only gets worse for Auburn moving forward.

But can the struggling pass offense of the LSU Tigers actually take advantage of it?

We'll still run the ball, but we won't be able to control drives with it. We will have to show we can pass the ball with some regularity (see Florida game). Can we come up with the goods for the 2nd time all season?

A lot of that will depend on how much of the offense Les Miles will "throw away" with JJ out on the field. If it's nearly half of the possessions, this team is in serious trouble, great defense or not. Let's pray the Board of Regents steps in and forces Les' hands in playing only Lee Saturday afternoon. Lord knows somebody needs to, because Crowton is handcuffed beyond reason at this point.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

You know, that may not be a bad thing for Auburn. New bodies could be the thing they need, young kids wanting to prove themselves, and prove to their coaches that they should be starting in the secondary. Trust me, those injuries only cause a depth issue for Auburn. No way their backups could be much worse.

3. islstl

Depth issues are a problem, however.

You can't just trot out the same DBs all game long. They need rest and their backups are going to be players that are probably barely holding on to their scholarships. Advantage LSU.

4. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Typically, the secondary is NOT the place you want to have inexperience. Usually, if a young player is good enough to not hurt it's team, it'll be known before the season starts. AKA Pat Pete, Matthieu.

5. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

I think that we will be able to control drives with our running game against AU. Their defense is THAT bad. But I think that we do it with Lee in the game with the threat of the pass. I really think that we will see a TON of yardage on the ground from us.

Edit -- and I think that their young secondary will have a heck of a time bringing down Ridley and Ford...

6. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I agree with Tigermark. I don't think LSU will take advantage of the AU secondary with the pass. I think LSU will run, run, run, and keep Newton off the field. LSU can run against this defense.

7. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

I think we should leave Reuben Randle unused. He's a really good weapon and that will confuse them if we don't use one of our better weapons in the passing game. Then we should run some option plays with JJ. It will have them completely fooled and thrown off, it will work brilliantly to open up the pass. Then we can bring in JL for a series or two and move the ball down the field. After that we can put JJ back to slow things down and confuse them with the change of pace.

This is my strategy and I don't give a rat's azz what anyone says.

8. islstl

Ok, now that Les Miles has spoken.....

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

When that happens, I'll be a gone pecan.

10. islstl

I'm not buying this at all.

Their run defense is stout.

Teams average 34 attempts per game for only 102 yards, for a 3.0 average.

Keep thinking Ridley is coming out of that game with 150+ yards with no passing game to speak of for LSU. You will be sadly mistaken.

Can Ridley have a very good game? Yes. But only if they respect the passing game. A few completions and some plays in the passing game would help out towards that end.