How will LSU take advantage of a porous Auburn pass defense

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Oct 18, 2010.

1. col reb

col reb Founding Member

I think you may be right...however, Miles may be thinking the same and using that for justification to play JJ. I think Miles ought to test both quickly and take what Auburn gives you. Then hit it until they make changes to stop it. If Auburn plays to stop the run primarily, throw often and deep. I don't think their d is able to really curtail both.

2. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

Auburn's run d is actually pretty good. If we beat them I think it's going to have to be with the pass.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Somebody would have to dig up the stats, but I think with JJ in the game, we run for less than a 3 yard average. With Lee in the game, we run for well past 5 yards per carry. So if Les is thinking he can justify JJ being in the game to give us an edge running the ball, then he really is dumb as a box of rocks like we suspect.

4. Rwilliams

Rwilliams Veteran Member

With their depth problem in their secondary, they will use jj's time in the game to rest their best defenders. You can bet the minute jl gets on the field subbing will take place and their pass defense will come out to play. They will surly be playing stack the box when jj is in because noone fears jj's ability to pass. I think lsu fans are more scared to see jj step back to pass than our rivals are

5. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

You have to have a passing game to take advantage of a porous defense. We, don't.

6. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Auburn's run D is pretty good statistically, but Arkansas - last in the SEC in rushing AFTER the Auburn game, ran on Auburn. They averaged 5 yards per carry. Some of that is opened up by their 428 yards passing...but Arkansas' Davis had 91 yards, and some pretty big runs.

It's going to depend on the QB. If we can throw, we can run. If we can't throw, long night.

The good news? Auburn is not stout in passing defense - as in 108th in the NCAA.

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

A lot of the running Arkansas did was predicated on them being able to throw at will. It opened it up for them.

Don't get lulled into a false sense of security that there is a breach in Auburn's run defense all of a sudden. LSU's lack of a passing game (you'll see this especially when JJ is in the game) will result in easy stops by Auburn against our running game. It will be like taking candy from a baby.

8. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Pretty sure that's what I said... :wink:

9. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I think ISLSTL is trying to say LSU is heading into a buzzsaw on the Plains.:D

10. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

AU defense was primarily playing pass.

Regardless, I think we can pass on this team, we passed on UF in the swamp, we can pass on Auburn. We just need a good mixture of playcalling and I am hoping for a few big plays, it would be nice to see a nice deep ball TD pass