How would you like to see a college football playoff implemented?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by fanatic, Nov 29, 2004.

?

What's the best design of a D-1 college playoff system

1. Scrap bowl games and go with 16 team playoff (4 extra games)

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  2. Take the 4 winners of BCS bowl games (2 extra games)

10 vote(s)
    37.0%
  3. Have a +1 game in the years it's needed (1 extra game)

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  4. Controversy is ok. System is fine the way it is

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

True, but then some conferences would get screwed out of money. For instance, whatever conference doesn't have a good enough team to be top 6 or whatever.
    Oh well, every system has its flaws...

2. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

With so much money involved, that's probably wishful thinking. After all, it's the very reason we don't have a playoff now.

3. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Yes - it is about money. I addressed this a couple times in my post.

It can be MORE lucrative to have a playoff.

Right now, there are 999999 meaningless bowl games because aside form the top games, nobody really gives a hoot about the other bowl games aside from the fans of the teams involved. With a playoff system, one giant marketing package can be used that would make a lot more money for all bowls involved.

I was about to get into a long drawn out explanation.... but I am not up to it right now.... so everyone is spared...... :wink:

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

There are rarely more than four teams in contention by January. A two-game four-team playoff would be fine and just take one extra weekend.

5. TitanTiger (AU)

TitanTiger (AU) Founding Member

I think a four team playoff would be best. Incorporate the bowls to make them happy and rotate the sites. At the most, an 8 team playoff would be acceptable. I just don't think teams with 3 losses (which is what a 16 team playoff would include) should have any shot at a national title. One of the things that makes college football so special is that every week matters so much. One loss can take you out of the hunt. I believe most people would agree that if you take the top four, the ones ranked fifth or below wouldn't have much of an argument.

6. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Top 8 teams with the

#1-#8
    #2-#7

And so forth

7. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

That is true if you look at the polls and win/loss records. However, almost every year you can argue that there is a 2 loss team that is playing well by the end of the season and can compete with anyone. This is what playoffs do, it allows for the best teams to prove they are the best at the end of the season.

8. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I voted for the 4 winners in a playoff

9. Blackstripes

Blackstripes Founding Member

I wonder if Fox will push for it...

now that fox has the BCS contract after the 06' season, it will be interesting to see if they press the conference presidents and NCAA for a playoff. the networks do have alot of influence since it all comes down to $$$.

i remember hearing on foxsports radio last year on satellite radio, back when we were in the same situation, one guy said that if fox had the television contract they'd push hard for a 4 team playoff, and that they were def. Pro-playoff.
    sure hope they do!!!
    :geaux:

10. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

True, but to whom? Certainly not the people in charge of making the decision. Or the decision would have already be made to switch to a play-off...