How Your Income Stacks Up

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Rex_B, Dec 29, 2009.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

This type of analysis is flawed from the start and is intentionally misleading. Overall, as in when payroll, consumption, gas, sin, excise, and property taxes are considered the lower income bracket bears a considerable amount of the tax burden. There are avoidance measures for income tax, but the only way to avoid a sales tax is to not eat. At the end of the day the working poor are impacted the most by taxes.

I think what is true is that we all pay too much in taxes and get too little to show for it.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Your own analysis is flawed. Higher income people pay much more of the taxes you mentioned. What is the difference in the sales taxes of a brand new $60,000 BMW, Mercedes or lexus compare to the sales taxes on a used beater? Don't you think that homeowners in an upscale neighborhood pay a lot more in property taxes than anybody who owns property in a lower income neighborhood?

3. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

im not talking about limiting individual freedoms but putting policies in place that result in a smaller income gap between the rich and poor. if the rich were less rich, the would not be less happy, but if the poor were less poor, they would be more happy. the right will cry "income redistribution" but thats not what im advocating. the gov should strive to bolster a stable middle class, which is waning. i fear that there is no action that can do this but that there are larger economic forces at play with too much inertia.

you should care more about supporting the child than teaching the parent a lesson.

many taxes are regressive.

4. LSUsupaFan

But as a percentage of income these other taxes are a much bigger part of the average wage earners world than for the guy in that top 1%. I realize the higher earners still pay more in dollars but it does not have the same impact.

Again my arguement is not that the rich pay too little, but that everyone pays too much.

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

If you are scraping by on a 30k a year income you certianly wouldn't go shopping for a yacht would you? So if you can't afford diapers, formula, cribs, all that other stuff that goes along with raising a baby why would you have one? Is birth control mandatory for welfare recipients? If it isn't it should be, and not just handing out jimmy hats or pills. Put those freeloaders under the knife:thumb:

6. LSUsupaFan

That is just a disgusting violation of human rights. That is crap the Chi-coms or Nazis pull. This is America buddy.

Also most of your arguement is based on stereotypes that do not exist in reality.

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

did you forget a "not"?

8. LSUsupaFan

Thanks.

9. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Or what if you are one of the many Americans that has seen their income drop from having paid more in taxes than what you now make, due to the economy. There are many Americans who have seen their income not only drop some, but are down 50-75% of what they made before the recession. These people have families, debt, homes, etc based on the income they were making. They now find themselves seaking gov't programs for assistance. The smart ones have done what they can to downsize themselves, they had savings to get through a portion of this down turn in the economy, but now still find themselves struggling to get by. It isn't their fault yet your blanket statement includes them. What would you suggest these people do, other than continue to do their best to get by, and use what gov't programs that are available for assistance. These people paid their dues in taxes when their income was much higher, it is only fair they have the opportunity to use what is available to them. IMHO

10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

This is true, and I will add that most of the people (most) of those that were doing well and are now not doing so hot are probably smart enough to have planned and prepared properly for this type of situation. Some of my quote was sarcasm but in reality I'm talking about the ones who just don't give a sh!t. Gumbo comes with this dumbass statement about caring about the child instead of teaching the parents a lesson. Well if the parents gave a flying phuck about the child they would not create it in the first place, especially when they already have a mini van full of older siblings that they can't provide for already. You all know what I'm talking about. They are out there in every color, creed and religion. Don't make em if you can't pay for em.