Huge Contract News from LSU reported in Miami

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by uscpuke, Dec 23, 2004.

1. tigerlaw

tigerlaw Founding Member

I like it.

LSU stands to lose a whole lot more $$ than that if someone else doesn't come in here and keep winning. How much money do you think LSU made just off National Championship merchandise last year? (In case you didn't know, LSU gets about 7% of the proceeds from all officially liscenced material). On top of that, the loss in ticket sales may have a serious impact on the bottom line. With Saban we have a proven winner.

2. TigerPacker

TigerPacker Freshman

Saban is 2-3 years away from having a FSU/Bowden-like situation. He would have to visit the top 10 recruits every year to solidify their commitments, then kick back and win 9-11 every year. And get paid 2.3 Mil to do it. If the ego is that big to blow us off, then I'll help him pack his bags. He is in the .01% that would do that, but 99.99% of the coaching community would sacrifice a lot to have this scenario. Don't you think there are quite a few in that 99.99% that could fill Saban's shoes?

He has leverage right now, and he is using/abusing it. If he goes to Miami, I say he's burned out in less than 5 years, if he doesn't get run out of town beforehand. Who, especially with the type of personality that he has, would want to coach a bunch of overpaid prima donnas looking for their "kwan?"

Does he think that he is going to have a bunch of Michael Claytons on his team?

Again, if he doesn't want the 2.3 mil, there are several others just as qualified and more committed who would do it for half of that.

3. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

What LSU needs to do, (For the record I think this is false)

Is talk to Saban about long term at the University. Bottom Line Saban has reshaped LSU sports not just football, he is a king in the state and in town. If he stays after he quits coaching he can easily become the AD of LSU and continue his molding of young people....

They need to visit with Saban and offer him a lifetime of success at LSU, but Money wise I think LSU needs to say enough is enough..

But hey, if someone offered to triple my salary I would have a tough time saying no as well.

4. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

SHOW NICK THE MONEY!

I say pay the man until it hurts.

His success will breed further success.

5. friday

friday Founding Member

right on mike. although I don't believe this story, if it is true, it's getting way out of hand. where does it end? this is not about money. bertman has said it many times. we know this is about saban's burning desire to coach in the NFL. The state of LA has too many problems. It's just like Bloomberg here in NYC pushing this west side stadium in manhattan while NYC's schools are crumbling and teachers are fleeing. this just doesn't make economic sense and a serious reality check is in order. one man is not bigger than LSU. someone please bring some sanity to this madness!

6. turbotiger

turbotiger Founding Member

He has been worth more than $4m a year to LSU

I support this. If they do this it does need to be a deal that rewards longevity and Nick needs to agree to that up front. An annuity is the best way - much better than a buyout - of keeping someone. That is what the fortune 500 companies do to keep their top talent and I have no problem with that for Nick. Remember, its NOT about the money but money is a consideration when the other side is offering a pension plan. We are talking about security for life for his entire family. Plus it would be a good investment by LSU.

Frankly I wondered why they didn't do this before. Put together a $10-$15m annuity with a 7 year contract. LSU football is making money but is heavily mortgaged, Saban is as close to a guarantee at head coach as there is.

7. tigerlaw

tigerlaw Founding Member

Amen.

8. tigerlaw

tigerlaw Founding Member

GREAT POST

9. miketiger

miketiger Founding Member

The powers that be know how much he is worth and I don't think they would offer it if there was a better alternative i.e. another proven winner in the wings.

10. WildcatMike

WildcatMike Founding Member

Money?

Guys get a grip,

Who in the hell do you think is going to pay for this major and I DO MEAN MAJOR increase in his pay? THE MIGHTY TAF? It will be the season ticket holders. Tell me this, how much does it cost for a pair of season ticket for LSU Football? I can tell you, second row, end zone, lower level at the University of Kentucky runs me about $325/pair. That’s right! I am willing to bet it cost more to have season LSU football tickets than it cost to have UK basketball tickets.

I know business is business…You have to spend money to make money. But do you really feel LSU and the athletic department can really spend this money. Getting too greedy can come back and bite you in the _ _ _!!!

Chew on this, what if they drop the bowl system and they implement the playoff system. Guaranteed money with the SEC will not be there.

Be careful what you wish for.

Like I said, $2.3 million, a house provided by the TAF (Highland Rds.), Ford Explorers, and other sweet incentives is enough. LSU the institution has way too many problems to worry about instead of getting into a bidding war for Saban to stay in Baton Rouge!

TAF WAKE UP!!!!
    :sob: