Hypothetical, but serious question. Two scenarios, Miles leaves LSU or Saban leaves Bama...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TerryP, Dec 15, 2012.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Maybe it's Wisconsin Tap, I mean Nick Saban was mediocre at best before coming to LSU, except for 1 season with Toledo or something like that, Miles as well with Okie State. Maybe a job like LSU is enough to vault a coach into the elite, it did for our last 2 guys.

Attack Tiger and Contained Chaos like this.
  2. TIGRIS PANTHERA

TIGRIS PANTHERA Veteran Member

The Big Ten format is the fundamental model for LSU & Alabama (Arkansas 2013)..The difference is in the SEC it is with the added souped up speed skill postion athlete. This is a smart "hypothetical question" for both head coaches are old & in their sixties or near it.

3. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Do they set up the pass with a strong running game? Certainly.

"The only year they had a passing game was due to Russell Wilson" isn't the case though.

I looked back over his seven years of coaching at Wisconsin and the one thing that caught me by surprise was how balanced his offense has been. Comparing running production to passing production there was a 135 yard difference between the two—over seven years.

When Wilson was the QB there was an 11 yard difference in run yards to passing yardage.

13th in total defense this season, 15th in 2011, 20th in 2010.

We've continually heard highlights of the Badgers and one of their running backs having a good game. Because of those sound bytes, I had him pictured as a ground and pound guy. Not to the extent of a Georgia Tech or Air Force team, but certainly to the point I expected to see 50-55 runs per game and 10-15 passes on any give game day.

What really shocked me was thinking that his offense was Petrino in reverse—a good 2 to 1 ratios difference between rushing to passing.

All that said, based on the more I learn, the more I'm thinking they've hired a pretty darn good football coach.

4. TIGRIS PANTHERA

Wisconsin could play with Alabama in a close hard-fought game. So could Stanford or Oregon (different style for UO)

5. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

bielema would seem like a better hire at lsu now than miles did in 05.

i dont think its a gonna work out for arky. they dont have the hosses to play straight up. need something special/gimmicky. thought dr leach would be a great fit.

6. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

It'll take a lot of luck. Luck on injuries and luck with attrition are two that come to mind.

They've had the "big uglies" over the years that had done well in SEC play. Luigs who played center for a few years is one guy that comes to mind. Nate Garner, Demarcus Love are two tackles they've had that did well. They've not been able to put a line from tackle to tackle that's been outstanding though.

Depending on Bielema's player evaluation, and given four or five years to develop guys, he should be able to put a good offensive line together. The two's and three's if injuries hit? There's the crux of the matter.

Defensive lineman they've been able to grab as well. Bequette was the best of late and Jamaal Anderson comes to mind. But again, when injuries/attrition hit they lost more than just a step.

7. Texas_Tiger

Texas_Tiger Tiger Stuck in Aggie Land

Another Hypothetical question(s):

What if Drew Brees had passed his physical at Miami? Do the Saints still win a Super Bowl? Does Saban win a Super Bowl with the Dolphins? Does LSU win the 2012 NC game? And possible play for the 2013?

It's amazing how Louisiana's football history (And Alabama's) changes if Brees sign with the Dolphins

8. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

sure, their top players have been as good as any.

9. TIGRIS PANTHERA

no

10. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

Answers in order: 1-Brees would've been a Dolphin. 2-Saints probably eventually find a QB and make the playoffs once or twice. Maybe win a playoff game. Not the SB. 3-I don't think the Dolphins win a SB with Saban as coach. He ran as soon as things got tough and he couldn't yell and intimidate his players. I think the Dolphins could've won a SB with another coach. I don't think Saban would win a SB unless he had the absolute best staff and players, plus some nice breaks go his teams' way. I don't think his personality is fit for grown men with more power and money than him. Just my opinion. Nobody break my balls!...please??. 4-Yes. LSU absolutely wins the 2012 BCSNCG. Barring some freak occurrance or player misconduct, we steam roll anyone outside of a Saban coached Bama team who we had already beaten. 5-Yes, possibly. W/o Saban, I think it's LSU vs. UGA in the SEC title game. Does LSU win? Yes, I think so. Do we beat ND? I don't know. I'll tell you after Jan. 7th. Gotta see how ND matches up w/ Bama.