I ask my LSU friends this

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Fly, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Fly

Fly Founding Member

Auburn (7-5)
    BYU (4-8)
    Hawaii (8-5)
    Cal (7-6)
    Arizona St (5-7)
    Stanford (4-7)
    Notre Dame (5-7) (noteworthy beat Pitt)
    Washington (6-6)
    Washington State (9-3)
    Arizona (2-10)
    UCLA (6-6)
    Oregon State (7-5)
    USC played 7 teams that were 500 or below only two teams were significantly above 500, Washington State and Hawaii. The rest were 1 game away from a nonwinning season (Oregon State, Arizona State) or a losing record (Cal - the same Cal team that apparently should have lost and should not count agains the Trojans).

OU on the other hand played Texas (BCS #5), Oklahoma State (9-3), Missouri (8-4), Texas Tech (7-5), Fresno State (8-5)(beat Oregon State one of USC's best opponents) and North Texas (9-3), Kansas State (11-3). OU's weak nonconference teams were Alabama and UCLA (remember UCLA was one of the better teams USC played). Exactly where is the injustice?

2. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Dude, but they KILLED Stanford and BYU...

Just kidding. Fly, you have come to a place where everyone agrees with you. I think USC isn't going to know what hit them when they play Michigan. Mich is faster, stronger, and more talented than any team that they have played...

3. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

You can also thrown in that the Pac 10 only had 2 ranked teams in the final 25 where as the SEC, Big 12, and even the Big 10 had 5 teams. (all three had at least 2 in Top 10 unlike the PAC 10).

The closest other Pac 10 team to being in the Top 25 was Oregon which USC did not play.

USC won what is the fourth ranked out of the six BCS conferences. The Big East in years past would push them to fifth, but since USC is highly ranked I will give them fourth although the BE was probably deeper this year.

In my mind not winning your conference should have been treated like a loss in the BCS formula, but this would still have put Oklahoma ahead of USC so I think the BCS got it right.

4. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

What pisses me off, is that in SOS, they get almost as much credit for playing an 8-5 Hawaii team, as we do for playing an 8-4 Florida team...am I wrong about that?

5. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

You are right Dallas ... but you do have to factor in Hawaii's and Florida's opponents record as well. I think that counts for 1/3 of the SOS.

6. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

And whats even worse is that you get just as much credit for playing 2 6-6 teams as you do playing 1 12-0 team and 1 0-12 team. I think most people would agree that it would be much more difficult to beat a 12-0 and 0-12 team than 2 6-6 teams.

7. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

EXACTLY! USC got away with playing a lot of mediocre teams while LSU got dragged down by a few REALLY weak opponents. If playing that type of schedule is going to get me national attention and have all of the media on my side, bring on the 7-6 teams man.