I bet Orgeron learned his lesson on 4th and 8 from the Florida 40

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Oct 12, 2019.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Yeah it's all about a mindset. Florida defense is like yeah we stopped them and made them punt. Versus holyshit these crazy relentless f****** are still going for it what the hell?

Send them a clear message.

furduknfish and shane0911 like this.
  2. kcal

kcal Founding Member

should be a sticky on every thread

shane0911 and tzanghi like this.
  3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

"Champion, its 4th and 8 at midfield in a one-score game. We're not going for it. We're going to pin them in bad field position and let our defense earn their scholarships. You'll get another chance to put points on the board.".........and that's just how it happened.

That said, I admire your aggressive, foot-on-the-throat and never let up attitude.

Bengal B and el005639 like this.
  4. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

Your counter argument fails to account for the potential outcomes. Even if the probabilities were in your favor, the potential downside of giving up the ball in good field position is worse than gaining a first down in Florida territory up by 14. So I shouldn’t be guided exclusively by probability of outcomes, but also by a comparison of the potential benefits and harms associated with the decision

furduknfish likes this.
  5. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

All I know is O's strategy worked. We pinned them and wound up winning by 2 TD's. We dont get a first they get fired up because they stopped us and put points on the board. If it's Bama we have nothing to lose then go for it score as many points as you can.

COTiger likes this.
  6. RamahRising

RamahRising Jedi Prophet

Just sayin

Noticed every time LSU goes on 4th down, Joe has that thumb and forefinger (aimed like a gun) pointing downfield ... He’s not moving off the field ... He’s stationary ... He’s insistent with Brady and Minger and Oeaux ... And he flips that thumb and forefinger a few time’s letting them know he wants to geaux for it ... As the COACH ON THE FIELD

And every time Joey points his gun, we Geaux for it ... Watch the replays of the fourth down attempts this year ... They’re all 1 yard to go

In GSU game, Lanard Fournette busted a 10 yd run on 4th and 1 at the GSU 32 ... led to a TD

In Vandy game, CEH made a first on 4th and 1 at the Vandy 32 ... led to a TD

In the UT ST game, Joe kept the ball on a 4th and 1 at the UT ST 35 and didn’t make it.

We’re not wild and crazy about going for it on 4th and long ... All three attempts have been around the opponents 35 yard line where it’s obligatory to geaux on a fourth and one ...

Or pray for a long bomb 50+ yard FG

So we’re just pud-pulling Talking 4th and whatever when we’re really conservative on the issue... When the time comes for fourth and 7, my $$$ is on Joey Dimes

7. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Exactly the attitude I want from our QB. He should want the ball all the time and believe he will convert every opportunity.

LSU_4_LIFE, el005639 and COTiger like this.
  8. BP

BP Founding Member

Every athlete who is a true competitor wants the opportunity to make a difference. Good linemen want you to run the ball over their hole. Good recievers want every pass. Good running backs want to carry the ball every running play. If they don't feel that way, they don't belong on the field.
    However, that is why we have coaches who call the plays and make those decisions.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    LSU_4_LIFE, COTiger and mctiger like this.
  9. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

Hindsight is always 20/20.

RamahRising likes this.
  10. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

There is a diff between playing smart and scared when making the safe call. Case in point, recall the games where CLM was up 1TD and would try to kill the clock with 5min left even though other team had 3 TOs left. That signified scared to lose. This scenario, not so much. Recall also that CEO/Slinger played same way before CJB. I think that marks the true change in mentality, confidence in both sides of ball play.