I don't like the Mannings

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SabanFan, Apr 25, 2004.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Never have...never will. A lot of people have swallowed Archie's PR campaign hook, line and sinker and place the whole clan on a pedestal as though they are the anointed ones. Look at the Eli situation. Forget the fact that the entire draft system is designed to ensure parity by letting the worst teams pick the best players. Eli (The Beaver), Archie (Ward) and Olivia (June) whine that they don't want to go there, ostensibly because poor Eli, a strapping young athlete, will be risking his career due to potential injury given the perceived lack of protection he'll get with San Diego. (Gee Wally, er Peyton, will Eddie Haskell be trying to hurt me?) So, he gleefully goes to the Giants after the Chargers pillage their draft choices, including next years #1. Why? Not for protection. Last year's Giants OL gave up 51 sacks; SD allowed 29. At SD he could hand off to LaDamien Tomlinson, one of the NFL's premier running backs. Who's he going to hand it to at NY? Jim Finn? Tiki (fumbleitis) Barber? Has beens Dorsey Levens and Brian Mitchell? No my friends. Eli did not hold his breath and turn Giant blue for the protection. He went there for the New York Media. He couldn't win a Heisman at Ole Piss and he won't get NFL MVP on the west coast. It's all about the Mannings. Nobody else matters.

2. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

Your opinions have great weight around here.

Are you sure that your rather harsh assessment is accurate? I only ask because I'm not so sure that I agree with you on this, and I'd like to re-evaluate my own opinion based on your observations and conclusions.

I'm in the middle with my Manning opinion. I think that Archie has been a good citizen of New Orleans and has been good for the city. I like him for that reason. His kids seem like good kids to me. I've never wanted to place the Mannings on a pedestal, and I, too, am sick of the media hype.

The Mannings have never been LSU people. I've never felt that they hate LSU, but we all know that there is no love for LSU from them. Some folks seem to resent the Mannings because Archie never sent his kids to LSU, even though the three boys grew up in New Orleans.

I'm sick of the Manning media hype, and I like Archie. I have no strong opinions with regard to any of the Mannings.

Am I missing something?

PS: I am now stationed only 35 miles from NYC. I will be able to report in detail to all regarding the NYC media coverage of Eli.

3. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

I am biased because I have met Archie a few times. He is a hell of a nice guy. I just know from personal experience, so I am biased and I see some of your points. But the guy is geniune and a good man...

4. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

That rings true.

Archie Manning doesn't seem to be the kind of person that would hate LSU and hatch schemes to hurt LSU. Don't trust those Auburn "people", though, because they are SKUNKS! :D

5. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

The Mannings don't bother me. They always seem to carry themselves with a level of integrity and passion for the game. I don't like the fact that all 3 left the State of La to pursuit their college careers, but that would be the only knock for em I have. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

6. arizona tiger

arizona tiger Founding Member

The Mannings............

are generally a class act and have the kind of character young athletes should emulate. No drugs, no felonies, no scandles, etc. Having said that, one of my favorite memories of last season was seeing Eli's butt hit the ground on the last play of the game.

As far as going out of state to play, I don't live in Louisiana, although I grew up there and if I had a son who was a football star, I would absolutely want him to play for LSU. What's wrong with Archie wanting the same thing for his sons?

:lsug: :champs: :lsup:

7. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

I have no problem with them. I think we despise them for the exact reason you stated Lafitte...THEY ARE NOT LSU PEOPLE. Besides that, I have no issues with them.

What they did in the draft is express their opinion on the Chargers, and played their hand very well to get what they want. If the Manning name was not so respected in the NFL, it would have never worked.

Only time will tell if Eli lives up to the hype, but my guess is he will.

Good luck to him.

8. col reb

col reb Founding Member

:champs: you remind me of another member of the "Leave to Beaver" show. LUMPY---Ya'll couldn't even keep the son of your "Great All American" Mr. Billy Cannon at home. Wonder why? My personal opinion, it would be some kind of difficult to live up to the legend of his dad. Eli had the same decision to make. Did a pretty good job though. But I remember the Archie Manning that went through hell from many Ole Miss people because Peyton went to Tennessee. Peyton wanted to go to Ole Miss. Wanted to throw to his older brother Cooper. Cooper got injured and could never play again. Peyton made a wise choice, especially considering the OM program at that time. I don't think the Mannings really care what you think. But Archie would probably say that you can't make everyone happy. And I have never met anyone that had known any of the Mannings and had bad things to say about them. Hopefully you noticed I did not make any ugly and tasteless remarks about your All American. He has suffered enough and does not need some smart butt (me) insulting him nor his family for a mistake he made and paid a hugh price for. IMO You were one hell of an athelete Mr. Cannon. And your son wasn't bad either. I enjoyed watching him at Broadmoor. :lsug: :helmet: :champs:

9. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Tell me again? What have any of the Mannings ever won?Surely there are some championships somewhere that this family of legends has won.

10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I respect Archie for the fine job he did as a QB for the Saints. Even when they were wretched, Archie was up for every game and played his ass off. He never got any playoffs, championships, or rings to reward him for a career of excellent work. I can't blame him for warning Eli away from a similar situation in San Diego. Professional athletes should be thinking about their careers first.

No, the Mannings are not LSU people, but why should they be when they are graduates of Ole Miss and Tennessee. All three were damn sure worthy opponents of LSU. I can't dislike them for that.